Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Microwave oven model #GH9115XEQ1, will not go into cook mode,

Microwave oven model #GH9115XEQ1, will not go into cook mode, ceramic fuse blows on start up,convection oven and regular oven work fine,when the fuse blows the flash comes from the area where the capacitor and diode are located. To order anew capacitor is 105.00,to replace diode is 36.00. Should I just replace and scrap the microwave?
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX old is the microwave?

Customer:

8YRS

Tim Alan :

Most of these types of over the range microwaves cost in the range of 200-275, from the description of your problem with the fuse blowing on startup and a spark at the capacitor and diode, is an indication of either a bad capacitor or diode and it would be wise to replace them both if you are going to repair it. The other cost would be labor if your not going to repair on your own and that would be in the range of 125-150.

Tim Alan :

On most appliances the life range would be 8-12 years

Tim Alan :

Being it's that old I would advise against spending that much on a repair.

Tim Alan :

The other thing to be concerned with is the magnetron?

Tim Alan :

Problems in the capacitopr and diode could take out the mag tube

Customer:

Thats what I thought could replace them myself @ a cost of 180.00 but ca buy a new one non convection for 179.00, unless I coukld get the parts cheaper.

Tim Alan :

Yes you can find them at around that price throughout the year, that is a good price what brand is it?

Customer:

On my way to scrap yard,Samsung 1000 watt

Tim Alan :

I just looked on sears parts direct, they have the capacitor at around 90

Tim Alan :

and the diode for 27

Tim Alan :

but if you can buy one for 179 then I would replace it

Customer:

Just removing it from cabinet was a chore think I will just get the new one and install it in same spot,Thank you for advice & knowledge,have a good day!

Tim Alan :

Your welcome and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX and have a great evening.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service