Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model # XXXXX Every

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model # XXXXX Every so often I get water dripping from the freezer vents located in the top of the fridge section. Water drips onto one of the shelves and freezes. I had a serviceman look at it and he said to just turn off frig for 48 hours and restart, and if it happened again, just buy a new frig. I let frig sit for 48 hours, and restarted and it worked fine for several months, and it happened again. This has happened 2 more times. I think it must be a part, like maybe the defrost timer. I don't want to spend 600.00 for a new fridge
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you.

Tim Alan :

The condensate drain inside the freezer is plugged up. This shouldn't cost anything to fix

Tim Alan :

The drain can be accessed inside the freezer and the rear inside panel can be removed and the drain is right under the coil in the middle.

Tim Alan :

Clear out all the ice and flush the drain with hot water to clear it completely, make sure you flush it, when the water flows down the drain and is no longer dripping then it's clear. You can also disconnect the actual drain line behind the refrigerator to help clear it, but the ice and the drain pan inside the freezer needs to cleared first.

Customer:

Can I see the drXXXXX XXXXXne from just looking inside the freezer?

Tim Alan :

Once that is done bend the heater down closer to the drain hole to keep it from freezing up, or take a piece of coat hanger and wrap it around the heater and suspend it down into the drain hole.

Tim Alan :

No you cannot see it, it is hidden behind the rear inside panel.

Customer:

How do I remove the rear inside panel?

Tim Alan :

There should be just 4 screws on the back wall that are visible, on some units the lower panel on the bottom needs to be take out also

Customer:

It looks like the ice maker may interfer with the removal, do I have to remove the ice maker?

Tim Alan :

Yes some units have them others don't, the ice maker has 2 screws on the top and one at the bottom

Tim Alan :

Comes out pretty easy and just unplug the electrical connection

Tim Alan :

According to the diagram it only shows 2 screws holding the panel on at the top but some have 2 at the bottom also

Customer:

ok, so basically remove the back panel and pour hot water down the tube. Can I see the drain pan or have to remove the back of fridge

Tim Alan :

Yes remove the rear panel, clear out all the ice, there will probably be a thick sheet of it, and poor hot water down the drain, you should hear it trickle down into the drain pan when it is clear

Tim Alan :

You won't have to remove the back of the refrigerator

Tim Alan :

If it is really plugged up good then you will need to pull the unit out to access the drain tube

Tim Alan :

You will see the tube when you pull it out and you can disconnect it to clear it from there

Customer:

Ok, one last question, you said bend the heater closer to the drain, is the heater just some type of wire that can be bent with ease

Tim Alan :

Yes the heater is right under the coil, some people tie on a heavy wire of some sort or like a piece of round thin iron, I find that bending the heater down works the best and that is what I do, It is stiff and a little hard to bend but it can be done. There may be a holder that you have to remove it from, it's ok to do so it will hang in place, and just get it close to the drain hole to keep it warm, You will see the hole once you have it all clear.

Tim Alan :

Not hard to do this, be patient and take your time and make sure that the drain is completely clear and it shouldn't happen again

Customer:

ok thanks tim, I'll give it a shot

Tim Alan :

This is a common problem, don't know who you talked to but apparently that person is not familiar with whirlpool top mounts

Tim Alan :

Ok let me know if you need any further assistance, thank you and have a great day

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service