Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag 9000 series washer with steam. Error code

I have a Maytag 9000 series washer with steam. Error code F21 shows. Removed clothes, put cycle on drain, spin. Will not start. Goes back to F21. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F21 is a drain error stating that your washer isn't draining properly for some reason. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error.  To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so.  Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel.  The lower front panel will then pull down and off.  There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor.  This is your drain cap.  Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch.  If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.