Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The icicle issue has been resolved and I thank you for it.

The icicle issue has been resolved and I thank you for it. The issue I have now is water flow from the water dispenser. The refrigerator dispenses crushed ice and cubed ice well but the water flow is a weak stream. It takes a minute to fill up a glass of water. How can I increase the water flow? Also how often should the water filter be replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you should replace the water filter about every 6 months depending on the usage. when was the last time you replaced it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I actually bought the refrigerator used a year and a half ago and have yet to replace the filter. So in the best case scenario it's 1.5 years but more than likely longer than that. Will that resolve the low flow rate from the water dispenser or are there other possible remedies? Where do you purchase the replacement water filter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well you would need to change the filter in any case but i cant be 100 % certain thats the only issue but most likely is. I would change the filter and see if that takes care of it , if not it could be a bad water inlet valve or a clog in the feed line but I think the filter is the issue being that its 1 and 1/2 years old. this is the filter. you can pick one up at lowes. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the filter yesterday and followed the installation instructions by filling the filter with tap water, running the water dispenser to dispense a couple of gallons of water and resetting the water filter. After installation yesterday the water dispenser was dispensing water like never before. It was working wonderfully. This morning I attempted to use the water dispenser and no water was released. I opened the freezer and was greeted by a freezer full of icicles. I'm now having the problem I originally had. Water is now leaking out of the back of the Integrated Ice System (ice maker) causing icicles to form. The first expert suggested I replace the water valve which I did. It solved the icicle and water leakage problem until yesterday, a day after installing the new water filter. The freezer is set at 6 and the refrigerator at 4. What is my next step?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
so the ice is comming from the ice maker? try this ope the freezer and tape the light switch in so the lights out then try and get water , watch the ice maker . is the water comming into the ice maker when you try to get water through the door ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I opened the ice maker bin two nights ago and it was full of ice. The ice cubes were pretty much all connected/stuck to one another where it formed a huge ice mass. Since the ice cubes were one huge mass the ice maker could not dispense any ice. I also noticed some ice coating the bottom of the ice maker. I then started to believe that maybe the freezer is too cold. I then emptied out the ice maker of all of the ice cubes and scraped off the ice coating the bottom of the ice maker. I then lowered the freezer temperature to three and waited until the morning to check it again. The next morning the refrigerator was working perfectly. No icicles in the freezer and the freezer bin is not leaking water anymore. Also the water dispenser is dispensing water at a high flow rate. When I came home in the evening it was continuing to work well. I wanted to wait a couple of days and see if it was still performing well and it has passed with flying colors. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome, glad you got it fixed, if you have any further issues you can come back at no additional charge and I'll be glad to help. have a great weekend ! thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I spoke too soon. Today I attempted to use the water dispenser and it did not work. I looked in the refrigerator and I noticed water at the bottom of the refrigerator beneath the bottom storage bin. I removed the bottom bin and underneath it was a sheet of ice coating the bottom of the refrigerator. I looked all around the inside of the refrigerator and could not find where the water came from. I scraped off the ice and waited several hours and now the water dispenser is working again. It seems as though the sheet of ice possibly froze the water line. During the course of me attempting to fix the refrigerator this has happened one time before but I forgot to mention it in previous posts. I resolved it by doing the same thing, scraping off the ice from the bottom of the refrigerator. How do I prevent the ice from forming on the bottom of the refrigerator?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it sounds like the water is comming from the defrost system but that wouldn't account for the water not working. when water appears on the bottom of the freezer its usually a defrost line thats clogged, first thing you should do is clean the ice out and then shut the water off behind the refrigerator , see if the ice sheet reappears after that, if so you need to clear the defrost drain line, let me know this afternoon if the ice comes back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay in responding but I've been doing a little bit of investigating on my own. The water is on the bottom of the refrigerator side, not the freezer. Over the course of a few days water will accumulate at the bottom of the refrigerator and eventually turn to ice underneath the storage bin. I may have stumbled across the problem. i took the bottom storage bin out and used a sponge to soak up the water and remove the sheet of ice. I then placed my fingers on the bottom of the refrigerator on the inside where the water was and traced my fingers across it. I felt a hairline crack on the bottom of the refrigerator which is not visible with your eyes. I think water is seeping through this hairline crack which is causing ice to form at the bottom of the refrigerator and causing the water line to freeze up which in turn is causing the ice maker to drip water in the freezer which in turn is causing icicles to form in the freezer. If this is the problem, can this be repaired? Can a hairline crack at the bottom of the refrigerator be sealed to prevent water from seeping into the refrigerator? Each time the water dispenser stops working water and ice are at the bottom of the refrigerator. When I remove the water and ice and wait several hours the water dispenser begins working again until enough water and ice appear on the bottom of the refrigerator. Am I stuck with this problem or can it be resolved?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it sounds like you may have a cracked water line also, even if the refrigerator had a crack there shouldn't be water from the dispenser getting into the refrigerator and also the water from the dispenser shouldn't stop working unless there a crack in the line itself. I'll see what I can find for diagrams. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was hoping that you could find some diagrams for the possibility of a cracked line. When it rains it pours because now the digital temperature adjuster in the refrigerator now shows a blank screen for both the refrigerator temperature and freezer temperature. Also the indicator for the water and ice dispenser is no longer lit. It no longer dispenses water or ice and I can no longer hear the pump when I press the water dispenser. At least in the past even if the water did not dispense I could still hear the humming of the pump. Can you guess what's going on now? I was told that you can experience issues with your freezer if you have food items touching the walls of freezer. I don't know if that's true or not but things are seeming to get progressively worse.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

oh boy. all of the electronics are out now ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The refrigerator and freezer are still working but all indicators are out. The light bulbs are functioning.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well thats entirely new and a different issue. I believe the problem with the controls being out is the main control board.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I hate to see you order this though and be wrong. it may be time for a service call to be sure. maybe get the tech to check both problems and resolve the issues. that board is $164.00 its best to be sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Due to multiple problems arising I decided to purchase a new fridge. It seemed like it was all downhill for that refrigerator. The new fridge arrived today, and of course, problem free. Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your so welcome, Its seems your right , this refrigerator is a nightmare and it may have been time to replace. well wishes and thanks, Bryan