Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Jenn-Air Gas Grill(NNN) NNN-NNNNNatural Gas Grill Question: The

Customer Question

Jenn-Air Gas Grill(NNN) NNN-NNNNNatural Gas Grill Question: The grill will not light with the ignitor. New AAA battery installed. What is the next step?

Mike McPhillips
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

are you getting a spark at the burner ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. It doesn't seem like it. There is gas though. I can see the back of the porcelean igniter and it doesn't appear very clean...don't know what the significance is. I have looked at replacing the whole module, but it looks like you would have to take the whole grill apart to replace it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay Mike , the igniter being dirty is most likely the cause, these need to be clean to create a spark. can you get to it and clean it and the burner where the spark is suppose to jump to the burner. its very important that both are clean. also can you see the space between the burner and the igniter ? how much of a space it there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is space as the "flame tamer" is in bad shape and probably has to be replaced. They are expensive. My concern is that I would have to take the entire grill apart to replace the ignition module...I am not a technician...I am just trying to help a friend. Can the ignitor be replaced by pulling it out the back of the front pannel? What do you recommend?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
this is very difficult to find diagrams for. give me a few minutes to see what I can find. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is that the only model # XXXXX have for this? did you get this off the grill itself ? its not comming up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the model number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNNG...I found the parts list on the Jenn-Air web sight under the(NNN) NNN-NNNN..the 0099 is apparently a sub model.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I see the parts but the problem is the diagrams are very vague and cant see how this comes out. usually the igniter is mounted right to the burner assembly. is that one mounted to the burner ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No...The module is number 20 on the front pannel...the ignitor is at the rear of the front pannel...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay can you get to the igniter? would you be able to remove it ? the first thing I would try is take a nail file or sand paper and try to clean the end of the igniter . can you do that from the inside of the grill ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if it can be removed...I am not close to the unit. My friend died and I am trying to help his wife fix the grill. I should be able to clean the end of the igniter...I think there is enough room to do that. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to leave a response...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, try cleaning the end of it and see if it starts to spark, let me know. Sorry to hear of the loss of you friend. condolences.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician