Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

I have a Kenmore side by side fridge. Model #596.52679200.

I have a Kenmore side by side fridge. Model #596.52679200. Last week the fridge side stopped cooling and upon inspection I noticed that the cooling coils in the freezer were iced over. I emptied the unit, defrosted everything and cleaned and dried everything thoroughly. The drain pan was full. This lasted a week and the coils froze again. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.

Appliance Tech Care :

I will be glad to help you with your question today.

Appliance Tech Care :

The self defroster system in the fridge is not functioning any more. Are you looklng for advice or do you want to take the fridge apart and fix it your self?

Customer:

I want to fix it myself. I am more than capable. Where do I start?

Customer:

its about 15 yrs old. would it be beter to replace the fridge?

Appliance Tech Care :

you need to remove the back wall of the freezer and get it defrosted first

Customer:

ok. this will take some time. Could you type out the instructions ?

Appliance Tech Care :

then you will need to get your voltmeter out and test the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater coil that are located inside the freezer behind the cover panel

Appliance Tech Care :

do you have a voltmeter?

Customer:

Whats the maximum i can expect to pay for parts?

Customer:

not with me but ill go get one

Appliance Tech Care :

I can't stay online and walk you thru the complete repair because of the time it will take. But here is a generic video of a replacing a heater and thermostat on a freezer.Your fridge may be different but the concept is the same. I would check the defrost thermostat first. It is very common that water gets inside and blows the cover off, causing it to short out.

AppliancePartsPros.com | WHIRLPOOL Kit, Thermostat, part number: AP4247331
Full Size Image

Appliance Tech Care :

there are many other videos on youtube also. You may want to browse thru them to gain some additional information.
just do a search on defrost heater or defrost thermostat.

Appliance Tech Care :

If my Answers were OK to you, please exit this chat and hit the GREEN accept button (or the Smiley Face if prompted) to THANK me for my time helping you.
I will still be able to help for future follow-up questions at no additional cost to you.
Tips and positive feedback are greatly appreciated, but not expected.
Thankyou for using JA

Customer:

Thank you so much for your expertice! I ordered the parts and will be able to fix it as soon as they get in

Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs