Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Whirlpool top-loading washing machine wont spin and drain. Its

My Whirlpool top-loading washing machine won't spin and drain.
It's 28 years old, and was working fine until this morning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When the washer is supposed to drain, do hear hear the motor running or is it completely silent?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not completely silent. I can hear the motor running, but it's definitely not spinning.
It's drained somewhat with each attempt at running the spin cycle, but I think I'll have to siphon the last +/- 4" of water out.

Also, the water is still foamy with detergent.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok so on these really old machines there are devices called "wig wags" that switch the transmission into different gears along with a lever on the drain pump that switches the drain pump to drain. If the unit isn't spinning and it's draining poorly, it sounds like the drain pump would need to be ordered and replaced. This is definitely not an easy part to replace so if you're not really handy, you may need a technician to replace the part.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you're pretty sure it's the drain pump that failed, I'll order one.
Can you give me a ball-park guess on how much it might cost --just the pump--not the installation. My husband and I can try to install it. He's good at fixing things, but he's out of town at the moment.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The part is usually about $75 or so and I would definitely say it's the most likely culprit. The only other possible part would be the wig wag but that is definitely not something you can replace yourself and unless you know how it's supposed to work, you wouldn't be able to figure out if it's working or not.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.