Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

bosch dishwasher is stuck in a cycle and will not turn off.

Customer Question

bosch dishwasher is stuck in a cycle and will not turn off. Replaced control panel for the third time 3 months ago. shv46co3uc
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the dishwasher is there water inside? Or is the motor continuously running with no water inside?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no water. I have cleaned filter. pump propeller turns and checked rubber checkvalve
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". That impeller that is turning is actually the drain pump continuously running. What that means is that water has worked it's way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged or too many suds in the tub causing the tub to overflow a bit. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45 degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when draining the pan, does the water comes back threw the tub? why does the dishwasher still runs after you open the dishwasher door?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The dishwasher still runs when you open the door because it's in flood mode. The primary goal in flood mode is to keep the drain pump running all the time in case for some reason the tub is continuing to fill up and flood because the water valve failed.

As for the water, there are little holes in the plastic base panel toward the front about 1 inch up. When you tip the dishwasher forward, the water will come out the base pan through these little holes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will try doing that in the next 3 hours, if that doesn't work, can i contact you again on the same ticket?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Of course. Just post back here if you need anything else. Good luck in the meantime!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tip the tub and drained as directed,reconnected water, power, and drain tube. Restarted, d/w completed cycle and beeped. Before I open door after the beep, I heared the pump running. Open door, water in bottom of tub. Turn off the power, went back to d/w and water running out on to the floor. I turn off water. Next ideal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, so you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher, drain all the water out again and remove the left and right side panel of the dishwasher. Then just watch the cycle when you start it again and see where the leak is coming from.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

6/5/2012

send the dishwasher to shop for repair. Bad valve

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like the valve was leaking but I'm glad you got it working again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
your diagnosis was incorrtect. took repair shop, it was a bad valve.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, well I hope everything goes well for you now.