Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Fridgidaire dishwasher, Serial #TH81772707 Model # XXXXX The

Fridgidaire dishwasher, Serial #TH81772707 Model # XXXXX

The dishwasher isn't working most of the time now. It has slowly progressed to this, as before it errored out occasionally, now more often. The display blinks with every light..ER, etc.
Currently, when it errors out, I try to press cancel, with no result. When I come back a while later, hit cancel, it clears but only allows me to select a few wash types. When I pick one and try to start it, it seems to reset and set the Crystal cycle with the 91 appearing on the display, and will not let me select any other settings. I press the start/cancel button a number of times and it starts on that cycle. It goes for 10 minutes and then errors out. This happened twice today, with the second being about 2 minutes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this means the main control board has failed you need to order and replace the control.. heres a link to order the part . control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it possible that this could be anything else, other than the control board?

The control board has already been replaced once.

Is this a common problem for this model? is it expected to happen again? Should I consider buying a new dishwasher for $550?

I am in Canada if I buy this part and by the time it gets to me, it will probably be about $200.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well these dishwashers are not really great machines to be honest, the controls are very sensitive and fail a lot. when did you have that replaced ? I owned one of them and the control went twice. i finally ended up replace the dish washer, never liked the way it cleaned either. I would recommend replacing the dish washer, we don't normally like to recommend replacement but in your case these machines are very unreliable and have a lot of issue's. this error code is the control but the keypad sticking can also cause the same code at times. the scrambles the control. moisture can get into the keypad . open up the door and check the control. does it smell like it got hot or burned? a lot of the time you can smell it. like melted plastic smell. the code doesn't distinguish between the keypad and control issue, you need a special tester for that, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how do we know if it is the control board or the keypad? By opening it up and smelling the keypad?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I was doing some research on this model and found very little info supporting the keypad theory. I only found one reference to that. the only way to test the keypad itself is with a special keypad tester that only techs have because of the expense. smelling the board doesn't always tell you if its bad. sometimes they don't smell at all. if it does smell burned or like its overheated at on point then thats a dead give away but they don't always smell burnt. rereading your first post I see you say this resets to the crystal cycle which does tell me the board is bad. disregard the key pad theory. this wouldn't cause the control to reset to crystal cycle. try shutting the breaker off for five minutes and see if the board resets, if not replace the board. sorry to confuse you with the keypad problem. i just wanted to cover all the bases. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, our site has been having problems with the accept button, I noticed this question is still open, are you having trouble accepting or do you need more assistance ? I would be happy to continue helping if your problem is not solved. If you have tried to accept the answer and have been unable to please let us know so we can notify the main office of the issue, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just replaced the $189 non-refundable control board, and have the exact same issue.

the 91 shows up and only the china cycle is selected, and then right after all of the lights begin to blink. Sounds like it is trying to pump out water.

What am I to do now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
did you order the control through the link I sent you ? if so return it, they have an unconditional return policy no questions asked. thats why I gave you that link. unfortunately we cant be 100% right all the time on line. I'll opt out and let someone else see if they know whats going on with this. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the issue.Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
someone else will pick up your question shortly.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Can you see this error every time you wash dishes? Can you make it repeat?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't do anything now. All of the lights blink and there is no response when anything is pressed.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Try this, turn off the power to the unit, get a hair dryer and heat that touchpad really well while rubbing it with your hand. You may need gloves. Massage those buttons really well as you heat them. Can you get some control after doing that? Be careful to not overheat and blister your panel.

Let me know,
Barry