Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag LAT 9416AAE washing machine, and the agitator

I have a Maytag LAT 9416AAE washing machine, and the agitator seems stripped. I replaced the set screw, but it still spins freely on the spindle. The set screw seems to have ground it down.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

if this spins freely on the transmission shaft even with a new set screw unfortunately the agitator is stripped and needs to be replaced. the agitator runs around $65.00 and I have included a link below where you can order it. this agitator doesn't have a replaceable drive block as some do.

click here for part , thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think it is the transmission shaft that is stripped. is it the metal spindle about the size of a thumb that the agitator sits on? It has vertical grooves down the side, but at its base it seems ground away by the set screw.

the shafts on these don't strip because the agitator itself has plastic spines which cannot strip the transmission shaft. on the transmission shaft there is a grove the screw sits in to keep it from sliding up. you can see the grove in this picture, that is a normal grove.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the inside the of the agitator have ribs that lock onto the grooves of the transmission shaft?
yes thats correct and they strip . they are just plastic. thats why the transmission shaft itself doesn't strip. you need to replace the agitator which is a lot cheaper than replacing the washer . hope this helps. thanks Bryan