Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 501R all refrigeration unit.It was in perfect working

I have a 501R all refrigeration unit.It was in perfect working order until a technicXXXXX XXXXXed the door gasket and now I am told it is not usable. He can not get the door to close properly and seal.Before I discard a perfectly working frig that was custom built into my kitchen do you have any suggestions we can try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

where were these screws he discarded? what part of the refrigerator did they come from ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the screws were along the top of the door hidge and after contacting SunZero he was told to remove them if the door was out of adjustment. The manual also says to remove them if out of adjustment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
screws were along the under side of the door hinge and after contacting sub zero he was told to remove .
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay. then they shouldn't have anything to do with your issue then. is it now an issue of the door not staying closed ? I've done a lot of these gaskets and have never run into that. did he take a hair dryer and warm the gasket up to soften it so it seats correctly ? this is how you get them to conform to the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes he warmed up the gasket but it feels like metal to metal when it closes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
was this an authorized sub zero tech ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we do not have any in our area. this was a local technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well he obviously doesn't know what he's doing unfortunately. if he ordered the correct gasket and cant get the door to shut correctly he either dint adjust it correctly or lost some spacers.when new gaskets are installed sometimes you need to put spacers between the hinges at least the bottom hinge usually. it brings the door out a bit so they sit correctly. any spaces can be compensated for by warming up the gaskets at that point. it seems this tech is not qualified enough to make the adjustments needed. I would see if you can shim the door out a bit to get this to close correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would the spacers have come with the gasket?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no they wouldn't but most techs that know these have them on their truck. they are just plastic shims we use to adjust certain hinges.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
these are what the shims look like. also did he check the door closers ? to make sure they weren't worn or broken ?