Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
11519491

Bissell upright vacuum, model E 3760-4 Brush wont rotate--even manually. Has been

Bissell upright vacuum, model E 3760-4
Brush won't rotate--even manually. Has been removed and cleaned. No change.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi are you talking about the brush on th upright vac, or the hand held small brush?
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The brush on the upright. It stopped suddenly while in use.
The brush needs to be removed and the bearing holders at each end need to be opened and cleaned so they will roll freely.
Next check the drive belt for the brush and replace if needed.
That should do itSmile
If you need me further on this I will be here to help you. Even after the accept.
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked belt at the beginning.
Figured the problem was at the ends but couldn't figure out how to open the bearing holders. No screw there--just a flat end.
Hi, usually you can carefully pry the ends off. if you can ge them off, you can make sure they turn freely by using a pair of channel locks(large mouth pliers) to free the ends.
If your style just rolls in the track make sure the track is clean and that the motoe shaft turns freely and spins when turned on.
Also make sure the belt is tight and free of any grease or dust that should do it.
But I will be here for you if you need me.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have spent most of the day on this. Rotor turns but sounds as if it is hitting something. Have removed and replaced cover twice. Am hanging it up for now and will get back to you tomorrow.
Thats fine it shount be so difficult, I will see if there is a diagram or instructions for you that are clear.
Have a nice night.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here's what I've done so far:

Cleaned brush (mostly dog hair--I have a big dog with very long, soft hair. This Bissell is supposed to be for pets, but obviously isn't up to the challenge of my dog.)

Removed ends of brush roller and cleaned felted dog hair out of them. Also removed bearings and cleaned felted fur from them. Replaced.

Rotor now turns, but not easily. Should it be lubricated, and if so where and with what?

Checked belt again. No cracks, still tight. Looks to be in good shape.

Replaced all the filters while I was at it.

Replaced plate. Plugged in vac. Brush turns but noise as if something is too close. Have taken plate off several times, and checked that fitting. Have checked height of carpet setting. Both appear to be fine. Any ideas as to what the problem might be. Don' want to burn out a motor.

Hi Yes you should lubricate the inner soft as best you can with just a simple houshold oil like 3 in one. But please make sure you clean off any residual oil that may splash on the belt.
Once you do this it will turn a little easier but as it runs with the belt after the lube it should work its way into a normal free spinning action.Smile
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haved oiled it--turns better. :Picks up. Still doesn't sound right, but have checked every fitting I know to checked. Should I go with it or do something else?
Hi It sounds like you have done all you can,
just make sure the belt is on the right way and the vac isnt clogged. then it should be fine.
Got to consider... it was starting to sound different as this problem was starting, so in will sound different nowSmile
If you need further assistance I will be here, as a matter of fact, when you press the accept button, it doesnt cost you anything more and it will keep this question form expiring and allow us to continue dialog until we are sure this is perfect!
Have a great day!
Thank you
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair