Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have GE Model WBVH5200J1WW that seems to be stuck in drain

Customer Question

I have GE Model WBVH5200J1WW
that seems to be stuck in drain mode. It also will not go into test mode. I have been using the tech manual that came inside the unit and have troubleshot and replaced the door lock assy and ohm checked all the wires to it from the control board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is this the procedure you used to attempt the test mode ?

Press power button to clear any current cycles.
Note: The display must be blank to proceed.
Disconnect the power for 30 seconds.
Reconnect power and within 30 seconds of
reconnecting power:
Press signal button.
Press delay start button.
Press signal button.
Press delay start button. (The door will lock,
then will display t01.)
Note: A washer left in the test mode will exit the test
mode and unlock the door after a period of 2 hours.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, That is the procedure I used. I was able to get it to work twice the other day and got an E60 code (door switch proble). that 's why I replcaed the door switch and ohm checked the wiring harness from the switch to the control board. Installed it last night and now I cannot get it to do anything except drain.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. have you tried cleaning the drain pump trap ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, unscrewed it and water came out (just a little) and trap seemed clean. I was wondering if I should take the drain line off the bottom of the tub to see there might be a clog. I forgot to mention that the other day after getting it to go into test mode; I cleared the E60 and while the door was locked from Test Mode I did the load of laundry that was in there and it cycled fine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the E60 is a door lock switch failure but you changed the switch so that cant be the issue, this is a control board issue . your control board is bad if you changed the lock and you still get a code plus not being able to get this into diagnostic mode tells me it bad also. the logic is scrambled. you can try checking the drain at the bottom of the tub but I don't believe from what your telling me thats the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to verify the board is bad? I hate to put another $200.00 in this thing and that not be the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well since you can put this in diagnostics theres no way to tell. these boards are electronic and theres no way to check them. the sure sign its bad though is that you cant get this to go into diagnostics which means the board is bad. sorry. I hate giving bad news but you cant check the electronics in these.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

thank sfor following up. Actaully I replaced the control board and still have the same issue. All it does is go into drain mode. It will go to test with pressing all the required buttons and I still get and E60 or E61 code. I am about ready to call a repair tech.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please reply to my last post
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not really sure why this is still comming up with a code, let me opt out and maybe someone else has seen this issue.its really strange. i will be out of town a few days so I'll opt out.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello

My name is jon and I can help yo from here.

How is your drain hose installed to the hose drainpipe?

Is it stuck down the pipe more then two inches? If so you may have a siphoning issue. Which is why the machine will just constantly drain.

And I amatory for all the questions but when you start a new cycle, if it lets you, does it fill completely then drain or does it drain at the same time it is filling?

Answering these questions will better help me help you. So when you get a chance get back to me withthe answers to those questions and I will help you more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jon,

The drain hose has not been moved from its original position since installed 4 years ago. When I run it through test mode it will fill and then drain as it should ( I think). I was wondering about the pressure switch (if that may have something to do with it. I pulled the vacuum tube off it and blew through it and its good.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Does the machine just fill then drain immediately in any cycle other then in diagnostic check mode?

If the pressure switch is bad it will not recognize how much water is filling int he machine and then stop the fill cycle and drain out.

Is this what is happening in your machine?

If so then I would replace the pressure switch. But usually if this is happening there would be an error code for it. Sometimes the machine will not register the code though.

If you have blown through the line and is clear that would leave the problem in the pressure switch. The part number is wh12x10522 and canbe ordered at either www.marcone.com or www.searspartsdirect.com or at your local appliance parts store.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me how the switch operates. I have ohm checked it and it seems like there is continuity when no power is applied, but the schematic leads me to believe that it should be normally open. when I blow into it I hear 2 clicks; is i suppose to be a 2 or 3 position switch?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
First off theohm check for the switch can only be done when in a fill cycle and is not a conclusive check for the swicth. It is very unreliable.

The switch will work as follows.

There is an air bubble that will pass through the air tube attached to the switch. When the water fills in the tub it forces a bubble of air to go through the air switch and forces the switch closed when it reaches the desired fill level set on the control. I will also work off a timed fill cycle as well.

It is very common that this switch will break but check good at time of checking it. But when the machine is filling it will malfunction.

It is a cheap switch and if you would like to replace that before the control I would do so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already replaced the control and the door switch in accordance with the owner's manual and they did not help. Still get the same code and still goes directly to drain when I start a cycle (and that's all it does is drain for about three minutes and then shuts off. Then I try to run another cycle and again it just goes to drain. I was really hoping to be able to be positive the next part would fix the issue. Why would the only error code be E60 or E61 for the door if it's the pressure switch? What is the difference between E60 and E61?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
The e60 and e61 error faults are for the door lock and communication between the locks computer.

So if you have already checked the connections and they are ok then the only other thing it could be is the door lock..

But you said you replaced that already, right? I want to be clear you replaced the door lock and not the switch. The doo rock is part number wh10x1006 and should cost about $160.

That is the part you replaced, correct?

If not, then I would change that before replacing the pressure switch.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
If you have replaced the door lock with the part number I listed above then the only other problem it would be is the pressure switch. It thinks the tub is over filling and then draining the water out.

But if youhave not replaced the door lock then please do so that is the problem.

The only reason I mention the pressure switch is because you said that you replaced the door lock. But if you meant the switch, that is a completely different part.

Please get back to me if you need more help.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir, that is the assembly I replaced. I sould probably have mentioned that it will only lock when I get it to go into test mode.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
I the machine will not lock in normal cycle it will not fill.

What was the part number od the control board you replaced I would like to make sure that you replace the right board as well.

Th only parts that would need to be replaced for the e60 and 61 error codes are the door lock and computer board. But if youhave replaced them and the machine still doesn't work then on of those parts is bad.

Now if the door locks and the machine will begin to fill then stop and drain. Then you have a bad pressure switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P/N I replaced was WH12X10468
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
That is the right part number for thboard.

So if you have replaced both the board and lock and the machine will still not fill or even lock them you either have a bad wiring harness or bad parts.

But if the machine fills the stops and drains the pressure switch is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ohm checked the wiring harness; is there anything else I can do to check that?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ohm check on the harness is just likethepressure switch. A useless check.

Just check to make sure all the wires are good and not cut or spliced or damaged in any way.

And make sure it is fully connected to the board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

I will give that a shot when I get home thank you!

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.

Just let me know how it goes and if you need any other help.

And please remember to rate my performance below before logging out today. And accept my answer if you feel that I have answered your question. And after you accept should you still have more questions on this unit you can come back here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
I noticed that you still haven't rate my performance or accepted my answer.

Do you still have more questions for me?

If so please email me back her and i will help you more.

Otherwise, please remember to hit the green accept button below.

Thanks.