Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

side by side refrigerator compressor starts up, then stops

side by side refrigerator compressor starts up, then stops after just a few seconds of run time. When it stops, it shuts off with a loud click. Could a bad relay be causing this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Yes, you may have a faulty relay or the compressor is faulty. If you provide a model number, I can get you the correct relay for your model.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the relay located? How do I get to it to take it out and replace it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
If you can post the model number, I can get you pictures and specific instructions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Number 30 in the picture is the relay. It is mounted on the LH side of the compressor. It is pictured and available at the link below.

Relay/Start Device

Clicking the “ACCEPT” button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!