Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

PNM1871 no power, checked the fuses, fuses are OK, per research

Customer Question

PNM1871 no power, checked the fuses, fuses are OK, per research on the internet and trouble shooting page of the paperwork found inside the control panel the next logical part replacement is the PCB and or the TCO. In times past when using the gas range the vent fan wouldnt turn off till things cooled down is there a connection here.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

did you check both fuses on the noise filter ? Noise Filter WB02X11244 Main Product Vieware those the ones you checked ? if so the next thing to check is power out of the filter . if you get power out the smart board has failed and will need to be replaced.

the smart board is part # XXXXX thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I check for power out of the noise filter? also this beast is only 14 months old, its failing just after the Warranty ran out, this doesnt look good for GE products in general, this is the kind of thing that reallt upsets consumers, would customer service be of any value to talk to? also whats happening with the vent staying open and continuing to run after I turn the fab off, is there some fail safe device in the unit to prevent overheating when being used over a gas range?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay, well you can try talking to G.E. but not sure if they will help. they may though. I've seen them do it for other customers. after looking into this further your smart board is bad. thats whats causing the vent to stay open also. you will need to replace the board. i would try G,E. since this is only 14 months old, a lot of the time they will send you the part but wont pay for the labor but you can install this yourself, they have had a lot of failures with these boards, enough in fact that they are out of stock in more than one supply house I've checked so this tells you how many are being replaced. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I assume that the board replacement is a plug & play operation at the board itself instead of futher into unit. if this doesnt resolve the isue what the next most common operation for returning unit to operational condition
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it is a plug and play. thats really the only reason this would happen in this machine. the smart board controls everything . I don't see any other cause in respect to your issue, the filter board if it was bad you wouldn't get any power to the at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have nothing at all, the screen is blank, of course there is power at the plug, the service panel circuit didnt trip. Theres just nothing. I assume that there is power coming into the filter board, and maybe or maybe not into the smart board, Your experience shows that the PCB or smart board needs repalced, thats what I depending on for a solution. if the fuses are OK and theres no activity at the smart board this doesnt preclude that there isnt power to the smart board, just that the smart board isnt powering up, is this correct? This isnt to say that theres power exiting the filter board, how can I check further at my end?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you can check power to both sides of the noise filter, just check the terminals, there should be power in and out, also check the smart board for power on the in terminal, (L) there should be power at the smart board if there is its bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the assist, my course of action will be to contact GE first, second purchase the part (if GE doesnty come through) and install said replacement part. Your anwers were good, great job, I know its hard to answer really detailed questions and provide really detailed answers in this fromat, a phone conversation would have been desired but all is good. I hope everything works out well, my wife and I didnt realize how dependent we were on the micro till we had to scramble for small sauce pans and pot to heat food on the stove. I will try to let you know the results.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay , I was off line this afternoon sorry, family thing, anyway just let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, My wife called GE and they sent a man out to fix the microwave, the problem was a "Thermostat, part number WB27X10810" this was located behind the vent opening panel in the center area. We have powerback and are using the mico, this is a FYI to further assist others in the future who may have the same problem. We have had and still have a lot of GE appliances, and have had great service with them sometimes for decades. With this action taken by GE we will continue to purchase GE appliances, they stood by their product and us as customers. You answered my questions as I posied them, Thanks for the assist.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome. the part they replaced is this . its a Thermo protector. thats why we need to know it there was power getting to the boards , microwaves have several different fuses and thermal fuses depending on the models. I'm glad its up and running. thanks so much and have a great day. Bryan