Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do I use the self-cleaning feature on our Whirlpool over?

How do I use the self-cleaning feature on our Whirlpool over? It is a Whirlpool 465 super-capacity oven with Accubake System. We recently moved into a used townhouse, the stove is great and easy to use, but the oven needs cleaning...badly. The previous owner did not leave a manual. I've tried a few things, based on our previous self-cleaning oven (different brand) but I'm missing something.
Thanks for any tips!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, because if you're getting E1 F5, that means that your door lock assembly isn't working when the oven is trying to start self clean. Try to wiggle the door latch in case it's just jammed. If you try to start the clean cycle again and you get E1 F5 again, you'll need to order and replace the door latch assembly because it has failed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello appliance Doc. Thanks for the quick reply. But there IS no door latch on the this model. It's not broken or "missing"; it just does not exist. I know exactly what you mean because our used oven at our previous house (different brand) DID have a latch and I figured out how to clean that overn by trial & error. (no manual there either) Anything else that E1 F5 error message can mean -- on a NO LATCH model? This is an all-digital system without any "movable parts".
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It's not broken, the door latch is hidden somewhat. It's a requirement for all ovens that have self clean to have a lock. It's not a manual slide latch assembly. If you open the door and look just above the oven cavity, there is a little hook by the vents directly in the middle. This is your latch that is controlled by a motor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks. I found the internal latch. As a quick test of the locking ability, I physically moved it 1" to the right and it locked in place. So I get that this is supposed to latch automatically when cleaning. Next steps are where I got stuck before and again just NOW:

1) When I press AUTO CLEAN, the display lights up "cln" and says "START?" CLEAN TIME.

What are the next steps? When I click START I get E1 -F5-

When I try things about setting time to clean, nothing I try works.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The only thing you need to do is press Start after "cln" shows. You're getting E1 F5 because the latch is broken, you need to replace the latch assembly before you can use your self clean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying. I figured that must be it, after you told me about the internal latch. Each time I tried just pressing START, I got that same error message. I'll get the latch mechanism fixed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and good luck to you.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.