Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My side by side often has the refrigerator side stop working.

Customer Question

My side by side often has the refrigerator side stop working. The freezer continues to work, but the fridge side stops cooling. The filter light goes off when this happens, which is the only way I know it has happened before food spoils. Unplugging/plugging back in fixes it temporarily, but it happens again in just a month or so.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you open the freezer and look behind your food on the back panel. is there frost on the panel ? do you have a full model # XXXXX ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model number: ED5VHEXV003.

No, there is no frost. I have no problems with the freezer. It seems to be related to the filter. If the light is about to change to indicate filter age, the whole fridge side quits working until I unplug/plug back in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well the filter light is just indicating a problem. its not causing it. we need to see where the issue is, is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay when the refrigerator side stops working is there are flow comming from the freezer to the fresh food section through the damper assembly ? up in the left top corner of the refrigerator section ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Flow? Not sure what you mean, but everything works normally except for the fridge side stops cooling.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay what I'm trying to find out is if there is cold air comming from the freezer intion the refrigerator section. all the cold comes from the freezer , there are no coils in the refrigerator section for cooling all the cold air comes from the freezer so i need to know if you feel cold air comming into it through the damper (vent) up in the left top corner in the refrigerator section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Right now, it is working normally. I'm just trying to figure out why this keeps happening every few weeks. It is hard to answer some of these questions without it being "broken down" right now.

I did notice another time that this happened that there was cold air coming from the freezer, but the fridge was still not as cold as normal.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, it is hard to know whats going on if its not happening at the time we are talking. the filter would have nothing to do with this getting warm however. it seems it most likely an airflow problem. what you need to do is next time it happens check the airflow and also see if there is frost on the back panel when it happens, this could be a defrost issue that happens when it doesn't defrost correctly, this could be intermittent.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it happens, there is never any frost. The freezer keeps running, which I assume to be the fan. I doubt that there is any kind of obstruction or problem with airflow. I am not saying it is caused by the filter, but the light indicates when something goes wrong for sure. Why does unplugging and plugging it back in restore the light and temperature immediately if it's an airflow problem? If it was air flow, it wouldn't be fixed with simply plugging it in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well unplugging it resets the board which resets the light. you said the freezer never stops working but I'm wondering if it really does stop working because it takes a long time for you to notice a freezer isn't working and you say you are reseting it by unplugging the refrigerator so you may not have noticed that the freezer was actually starting to warm up. when you say it restores the temperature do you mean the readout ? you may have a bad control board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did not accept the answer because the problem is not fixed and that fact that my money was taken really pisses me off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm still willing to work with you on this but its difficult if this is an intermittent problem and you don't know whats happening when it does happen. there are two things electrical that can cause this, 1 the electronic defrost board is failing or 2 the cold control is going. either one can cause this problem. you need to see if this comes back on by itself instead of unplugging it to reset it. we cant tell any other way. I can send you the part #s and you can replace them both if you wish, let me know, thanks Bryan