Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Bosch dishwasher Model# XXXXX When I ran

I have a Bosch dishwasher Model# XXXXX When I ran the cycle yesterday, the dishwasher did not complete the cycle. It emitted a whine and the soap compartment was still full after about 8 hours. It was on regular cycle. I cleaned all the filters with no effect. I think it might be the drain pump or drain sensor of some sort. I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. I want to make sure my diagnosis is correct, what should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does this keep draining all the time? does it sound like theres a pump running even after the cycle it over?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good question. I could not tell yesterday because the machine was dry. So I did an experment and put a gallon of water in the machine, then turned it on. You could hear the water drain out through the anti-siphon valve on the sink. When the water was drained out the pump sound kept on, only at a little higher pitch because the water was all gone. The only status of any kind on the machine read "39".

Eron
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay whats happening is you have water in the base pane below the dishwasher and you hear the drain pump trying to get rid of it, the machine is stuck in whats called a flood mode. this can only be fixed two ways, 1 pull the entire machine out from under the counter and dry all the water in the base pan. or 2 you can remove the bottom front kick plate and put a hair dryer facing under the machine to dry it out , the second options takes a while however. some people pull the machine out and tip it on its side to get the water out also. whichever way you need to do this it will work after its dry and the float is down in a reset position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I took out the machine and had to disconnect the hot water to get it all the way out. I tipped it on its side and cleared out the water. When I went to re-connect the hot water fitting, the end that connects to the hot water valve came apart. It was made with some fancy connector that is solid chrome metal about an inch long. I think they put that there so the fitting would rotate freely. The end that came off has a copper or brass c ring and a rubber o ring. I put it back together with pliers and reconnected it.

I reassembled the dish washer and that is working again, but I have a slow leak from that fancy fitting. I have some valve grease. I could try to disassemble the fitting and grease it. But it is hot water and may not work for long. Or I could order a new hose for it. If it was your machine what would you do?

Thanks for your help,

Eron
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that happened. unfortunately you will need to replace the valve. you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/425458/1105846 it runs around $32.00 hope this helps, and good job ! thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

It looks like my problems are not over. The connector I was having problems with was under the sink. I reconnected it and it stopped leaking... But that is not the real problem. The machine ran one load sucessfully and then kept draining. Well, I let the problem sit for a while and tried again to fix it today.

I disassembled the filters and cleaned them. I took of the cover of the impeller and cleaned that. I pulled out the little silicone valve and cleaned out that as well (when I pulled it out about two cups of water drained into the filter assembly) . Then I pulled out the machine and took off the side panels. I took a look at the float valve assembly and the float valves move freely. Then I drained the bottom pan and cleaned it out the best I could from the side (it only had less than a 1/4 inch water). I ran another short cycle and it ran perfectly, until the end. It filled correctly, the water was washing around inside and it drained correctly. But after it was all drained, the drain pump kept going and no water was going into the anti-sypon valve above the sink. I tried turning it off and then starting it again and it always started the drain pump and would not start a new cycle.

Where should I go from here?
Do you think the problem is the float valve assembly on the lower left or
one of the electric switches or
is it a control panel problem?

Regards,

Eron

Optional Information:
Brand: Bosch
Type of Appliance: Dishwasher

Urgency: LOW