Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Kenmore Elite Induction Stove (m#790 4500 3803).

Customer Question

We have a Kenmore Elite Induction Stove (m#790 4500 3803). The left side generator board burned out. This is being replaced. Should the filter board also be replace. It seems that if the filter board is to mitigate surges to the power board, then the surge that got to the generator board could have damaged the filter board. Is that possible?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The filter board only mitigates surges coming from the house from something like a power outage. If the inverter generator board shorted out for no reasons, or because something in the burner caused it to short out, the filter would not stop this from happening. It's not common practice to replace the filter board along with the inverter generator board unless you know that it shorted out from a power outage or something like that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe there has been periodic surges. Earlier in the year when the stove was not in use, we arrive back home and the stove had e30 error messages indicating a power surge. The second time i had just started a burner, there was a pop and a burned smell. So something got to the generator board. I am assuming it was a surge.

I do not know the variability on the line voltage to the house. Assuming this is the case, what can i do to mitigate surges to the stove?

And could the filter board have been damaged? Is there a way to test it? A repair rep has already looked at the generator board and that needs to be replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The only thing you can do to mitigate surges on the stove is to install surge protection breakers on your fuse box. These stoves use 240 volts, so there isn't just a simple plug in surge protector.

There is really no way to test if the filter board is good or has been slightly damaged. Unless this is something you want to replace for peace of mind, there is really no reason to replace it until after you replace the generator board if there happens to be a problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, sounds like replace the generator board and hope that the stove is not in use the next time there might be a surge (two in the last four months), none in the first 18 months of the stove based on having error messages on the range itself.

Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and I hope things get better for you. This is just one of the big downsides of appliances starting to use a lot of control boards inside of them. They tend to be a lot more sensitive.