Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

indicator light stays on when range rings are off. what can

indicator light stays on when range rings are off. what can I do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Which light stays on exactly? The "burner on" light? Or the "hot surface" light?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe it is the burner. It says "element on "

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so that means that one of your burner switches has failed. Since all of the burners share the same indicator light, any of the switches can cause this problem. The best way to determine which switch is faulty is to unplug the oven and disconnect all the wires to one of the switches. Plug the oven back in and if the light is still on, unplug the oven, reconnect all the wires, and then unplug all the wires on the next switch. Continue to do this until you find the faulty switch, then replace that switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what you are suggesting is not something I would be comfortable doing. What should I let a service person know when I call to minimize my cost for an expensive call just to diagnose?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Just let him know what's going on with the indicator light being on all the time, and hopefully he'll bring out a burner switch. The problem is that there are several burner switches so he may not have all of them in stock to bring.