Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

washing machine - electrolux model FEX831FS1 . The tub turns

Customer Question

washing machine - electrolux model FEX831FS1 . The tub turns CCW while the machine is in the agtitate mode. What could be the cause of this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the basket is turning at the same time that the agitator is agitating, it means that your transmission is failing. Unfortunately the transmission will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. It costs about $300-350 to have the transmission replaced, so sometimes it's best to just replace the washer rather than repair it. But that decision is completely up to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the transmission failing the only thing that can cause this symptom?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
yes, that is the only thing that can cause the tub to spin and agitate at the same time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are parts available for the transmission, and if so, what is the most likely psrt(s)? I will accept your answer in a timely manner. I have used this site for years (usually TV questions) and think you guys are great.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
there are not individual parts for the trnamission, the transmission itself only comes as an assembly so the entire transmission needs to be replaced.