Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

You might recall that I consulted with you a couple of weeks

Customer Question

You might recall that I consulted with you a couple of weeks ago about installation of a new drain pump assembly on my Fisher & Paykel washing machine (model no. GWL15US, product no. 96155-B). That installation, which included inatalling a fuse in the power supply, was successful; and the machine ran perfectly thereafter. However, it now stops before the rinse cycle, leaving contents and wash water from washing cycle in tub.The machine beeps a monotone (inaudible to my deaf ears), but there are no flashing lights. If I stop, power down, and restart the machine, it repeats the same behavior, but starting with the wash cycle agitation, as the tub is already full of water and wash load. I suspect that something might be wrong with that new pump and/or its connections, although all of those latter seem secure. One last possibly relevant detail: this problem arose after the the machine had repeatedly stopped and restarted itself due to an unbalanced spin load. So, any notion what's going on here? More particularly, should I--and how might I--test the status of the pump motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Lets see if an error code pulls up.

With the machine off, press and hold the Wash Temp Down button and then push the power button until the machine gives 2 short beeps and lights up. Now press the Spin Speed Up button three times so that the Hold and Slow LEDs are illuminated.

The eight wash progress LEDs will show the error code. Which ones are illuminated from LEFT to RIGHT? Example (1st, 5th, 8th)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I attempted a response to you, but got a 404 error: web page not found. I'll try again:

First of all, when I press and hold the Wash Temp Down button and then push the power button, only the rinse light shows up. Also, I do not hear the beeps, but that is probably a problem with my hearing. Following your instructions further, lights number 3, 6, and 8 come on.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok so this is a pump block error. You will need to manually drain all the water in the tub then tip the machine backwards so you can access under the bottom and unplug the unit. The drain pump is located in the front right corner. It has a fan blade hanging from the bottom of it. Twist the fan blade an if it doesn't spin freely, you need to remove your drain pump and clear the blockage above it. There is a plastic tab that you can push on and then the entire pump will twist and pull off.

If the blade does spin freely, there is a "Y-connection" in the back right corner with (3) 1" hoses connected to it. Disconnect the hoses and check the "Y-connection" for any blockages. Remove any blockages if necessary.

If both things check good, then you just need to replace the drain pump itself and it costs about $100.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I've checked all the hoses: no blockages. The fan blade on the motor does turn freely, and I removed the pump assembly anyway, again looking for blockages: none. However, the pump is brand new. As I indicated in my initial communication, I had installed the pump and it was working well up to the point where we are now. Is there a test that I can run on the pump to verify that it is indeed defective and report the results to the supplier?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The only test you can do is check for power at the pump. You should have 120 volts when it should be draining. If you have 120 volts and it's not draining and you're sure there is no blockage, then your pump is bad and needs to be replaced.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have installed a second new drain pump, but I have the same problem as with the first replacement: fault code 37, pump blocked error. There is, however, no blockage. In diagnostic mode, I press WASH TEMP DOWN button, and the water supply starts: no blockage there. However, pressing the REGULAR button, the light comes on but the pump does not start. Also, with the machine powered down, I can blow through the drain tube, so no blockage there. I also checked the electrical connections for the new fuse relay, which were intact. I then took out the fuse relay and checked it for continuity: no problem. Finally, I spliced the white wire together again, tried a test run of the machine, and came up with the same error 37. I have, of course, several times disconnected the power source so that the controller might reboot, but to no avail. I think we can reasonably assume that the pump is not the problem, nor any blockage. So, kindly scratch your head and tell me your thoughts.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I would say the pump isn't bad as well, but at the same time, I would say that the pump must not be getting 120 volts or it's not getting neutral either no? The pump isn't running when it should be draining--correct? I'm not there to see this for myself, but if the pump isn't running and the pump has been replaced, the only thing that controls the pump is the motor control board in the far back right corner under the control panel. So if the pump is definitely not running, replace the motor control board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assume that I should be testing between the red and white wires. I shall find or buy a working multimeter and get back to you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I would think those are the wires too but without a picture I couldn't say for sure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a picture, but as I related earlier, I do not find an insert/edit image button on this page. Have you an email address where I might forward the picture?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately not but you can always use photo bucket or something to upload a picture and give me a link to see it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good idea! Photo at http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/RCJahncke/.
I'll be back to you as soon as done the voltage test.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Brown to white is what you need to test for 120 volts. Also, there is a fuse in that black plastic cylinder in line with the red wire. So you might want to remove the fuse and test continuity on the fuse as well to make sure it has continuity.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to be so long getting back to you: I had another, unrelated domestic crisis to deal with. I have a shiny new multimeter. I first tested the entire fuse assembly and got continuity, so that's not the problem. I then put the machine in diagnostic mode, tipped it, and pressed REGULAR. Applying probes to the brown and white wires, I got no current. Likewise, connecting the brown and ground wires: no current. Should I do these tests in the course of an actual wash cycle, somehow levitating the machine so that I can get under it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no, if you're not getting current, that's why your drain pump isn't running. You need to replace the control board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, boo. But thanks for your help. -Roby
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
sorry about the bad news but I wish you only the best.