Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a washer in a rental unit that apparently has a problem

Customer Question

We have a washer in a rental unit that apparently has a problem with the transmission. We are dealing with a warranty issue and the home warranty company has told us that the problem had to have been going on for quite some time (before the warranty was purchased). Their repairman indicated that the transmission is locking up. The tenant is a college student and we're not sure about the quality of the information she has given us. Two questions - would a transmission locking up exhibit noticeable symptoms over a period of time or come on suddenly and is there any danger of fire if we do not deal with this situation immediately?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The transmissions locking up on Frigidaire washers do tend to happen more often than other models, but there is no way to look at the washer and determine how long the problem has been going on for. It's possible that the belt has several burn spots from the transmission locking up several times, but that could all happen in one day if you tried to run the washer several times in one day. Unless your tenant had told the company they've been having issues for a while, there is really no way they could ever make that assumption that the issue has been going on for a while.

As for the unit being dangerous--no. The belt me burn through and you may get a rubber burner smell, but it's definitely not a hazard.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, sorry I didn't hit one of the faces - they were gone when I went back to do it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
it's ok, either way--I hope thinks work out for you. It sounds like the extended warranty company might be a little tough to deal with.