Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi. My 8 year old LG front loader is now making extra loud

Customer Question

Hi. My 8 year old LG front loader is now making extra loud sounds during spin cycle. It sounds like everything is working correctly, just 10 times louder than normal. Is there some kind of sound deadener that could have worn out? There are no codes, and machine is not vibrating abnormally. Again, it is the same normal noise, just very very loud...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this is quite a major issue and it will get much worse as time goes on. That loud roaring jet engine type noise you're hearing means that the main bearing on the back of your outer tub is starting to go out. The rear problem is that the bearing is built into the rear outer tub so the entire rear outer tub needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Also, the shaft that goes through the bearing is part of the stainless steel inner tub and it gets damaged when the bearing goes bad. The rear outer tub and the inner tub would need to be replaced to fix this issue and the cost of the repair is about $700 or so. It's a decision you'll need to make if you want to fix the washer, but often times people will just replace the washer when this happens.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi... I have never used a service like this... so thank you for your help, and for bearing with me as I figure out how to use this service...

How long does the washer typically keep running after this bearing on my outer tub starts going out? Approx. how long do I have before I have to get another one? Is there a general rule or approx. time they take to finish their death? Thanks again...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem at all.

It's hard to say how long the washer will run, but generally a few months after it starts getting loud it will start leaking water and that will short out the motor on the back of the washer, at which time it will stop running.