Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I recently purchased a new ice maker, the complete unit, for

Customer Question

I recently purchased a new ice maker, the complete unit, for the same refrigerator and installed it. It doesn't work. It won't fill with water and the ice cube tray will rotate as if it going to empty the ice cubes and it stops and won't return to the re-fill position. It looks like it is tweaking the tray. By the way, this is what the old unit was doing and was the reason I bought a new unit. can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I know you're not goign to like this, but it sounds like you got another bad icemaker. This is the most common way for these icemakers to fail and one time I had to replace the icemaker 3 times before I got a good icemaker. There really isn't anything else that would stop the tray from returning back to the fill position if it's sticking in the twisted position where it dumps the ice. Just warranty out the icemaker and get a new one and it should cycle properly again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it through an online parts company. Any idea how I can get them to not charge me a re-stocking fee. How do I know that they are aware of this being a frequent problem with these ice makers?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Who did you order it from? They shouldn't be charging you a re-stocking fee if you're not returning it, they will just warranty it out, but they will likely make you pay for the shipping.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ordered it from J&J International from www.samsungparts.com. Have you heard of J&J?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I have not, I generally recommend using Repairclinic.com or Appliancepartspros.com. Unfortunately I don't know J&J's return policy, but they should warranty the part out for no charge as it doesn't cost them anything to change the part out---it's part of being a parts dealer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just talked to them and they want me to ship it back at my expense. When they receive it, they say they will ship a new one out. Do you have any way of getting me information that would show that this particular part is often defective?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That I don't have unfortunately. But it's the most common icemaker that is replaced in the shop that I work for because it's on Samsung and Bosch refrigerators, and they are just not reliable icemakers.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem and sorry about the bad news but I wish you the best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just got another ice maker in the mail. Hooked it up, SAME problem. Why would the ice maker turn to dump the ice when it didn't fill in the first place?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If you press and hold the button under the bottom of the control module on the icemaker for 15 seconds, will the icemaker cycle like normal in the next 2 minutes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will try, hold on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
There must be another issue. I don't beleive that all of these ice makers are faulty.
Expert:  AnthonysTV&Appliance replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure the water line is not frozen?
push the test button on the bottom of the ice maker
it should dump and twisting is how it emptys the tray so that is normal
it should return to the upright position after it dumps
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

There was a tech update that may apply in your case. It has to do with the temperature sensors in the ice maker reading wrong. Please see the attached tech update for more intformation.

CLICK HERE

To get to the set point shift they refer to do this:

Press Freezer Temp. and Power Cool buttons simultaneously for 12 seconds to get into this mode.

In this mode, only the display LEDs for temperature will be ON.

Press power cool / fridge temp until the number 4 is in the right display.

Below are the diagnostics they refer to.

If changeing the tempersture values does not work then you will have to install the

"New Ice Making Service Kit" Samsung part # XXXXX

You can get one by clicking here. I have the instruction sheet if it gets to this point. Hopefully the temp adjustment will resolve the problem.

graphic