Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore Elite Electric dryer model #110 6706 2600.

I have a Kenmore Elite Electric dryer model #110 6706 2600. I am getting an F-40 fault code. I have already replaced the machine control electronics. I have tested all of the thermostats and the thermal fuse and both intake and exhaust thermistors. Checked and rechecked all conections. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F40 is a communication error between the motor control board and the main interface control board. The big problem is that you don't know which control board is causing the issue and there is no way to test, so it's a guessing game. You can definitely take the dryer apart and make sure the wire connections are secure--but if everything checks good, a guess will need to be made and one of the control boards replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The tech sheet says it is a comm error between the main control board and the motor control board. However my model is not the dual motor version but rather a single motor and has no motor control board to have a comm error with.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That's not exactly correct. The interface control board is the one on your display. The motor control board is the main relay board inside the control panel as well. If you take the control panel apart, you'll see both boards, and those are the two parts in question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you're telling me the user interface is bad? Is there anyway to test this before I buy another part that may not work?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
No, I didn't say that. I said either the user interface board OR the motor (main) control board is bad. And there is absolutely no way to determine which one is at fault. So you need to make sure the wire connections are secure, and then it's a guess as to which board you want to replace. It's the way that many manufacturers are going unfortunately. Boards are cheap for them to make, but when they start communicating with one another, they are impossible to test which part is faulty. But repairing appliances is a bit down on their list of priorities. Most techs believe the priority is Cost, functionality, Energy Savings, Reliability, and lastly would be Service.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As I stated before I have alread replaced the machine (main) control board. All connections have been checked and rechecked. So your telling me it has to be a user interface board? Is that right?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
that is correct, yes. You has stated that you replaced a circuit board, but I just wasn't sure which one it was until now. So if you replaced the main motor control board, you'll need to replace the interface board.