Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Older model Maytag dryer....relocated to my daughters house

Older model Maytag dryer....relocated to my daughters house which is a modular type home...so I am not sure if this is cosidered a "Trailer"...tag on the back of the dryer says to remove the ground strap from the neutral terminal and use an independent ground wire....did this...As soon as the dryer is turned on the buzzer sounds and wont shut off...the basket tumbles and the dryer fan blows...but no heat..??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 2 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

How many volts is the dryer getting from the power source ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30amp 3-prong outlet already wired into the panel.....it has two 30A breakers...not sure if this means it's 120v .....it is not 3-phase
Do you have a voltage tester ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tom...I am at work right now.....not at the dryer location......but I do have a voltage tester at home.
Ok that is good. Did you put the three prong cord on yourself ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes....I purchased a new one to match the outlet in the house. This is a flat grey cord with three conductors...not color coded. I assumed the center wire is the neutral. The terminal block inside the dryer has three lugs..I landed the center wire on the chord on the center terminal and the two end wires on the chord on the two end terminals on the block.
You said you removed the ground wire what did you do with it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tag on the back of the dryer said to remove the ground strap from the center lug if this is a mobile home and run a separate ground wire from the external ground lug to a pipe clamp. So I removed the strap and set it aside.....Hooked everything up, turned on the dryer...the buzzer immediately started, the blower started and the basket began to rotate...no heat.

I put the ghround strap back on......SAME RESULTS AS ABOVE....

Ok first thing you want to do is make sure the cord is hooked up properly. Check the cord for continuity through it to make sure the wires are in the right place. If they are fine make sure it is getting 220 volts. If that checks out then you will need to start looking for any loose wires in the control panel and down around the heater. It is very possible something has come loose during the move.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think the fact that this is a modular home.....has anything to do with wether or not the ground strap should be On or OFF ?
No that should not make any difference at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK...I think I will just leave the ground strap connected and look for loose wires.....LASTLY....Is there any good advice for getting the enclosures off the control panel...and can I get to the heater area from the bottom or does the entire enclosure have to come off..??
You say it is a older model # XXXXX there should be screws on the top of the control panel and the front will fold down. And to access the heater the front should have two screws at the bottom of the front remove them and pull the front towards you from the bottom it will release from the top. If this is not the case look at the back of the control panel it should come off. And to remove the front you would need to lift the top. Using a putty knife slide inbetween the front and top and few inches in from the corners there will be two clips. Push in on them and lift the top. Then the front is held on the inside corners by screws. These are the two methods.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience