Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

neither the top nor botton unit clean well.Glasses,bolls dishes

neither the top nor botton unit clean well.Glasses,bolls dishes all have residual food even
when we they are pre-washed. Is there a filter or clean-out that we can adjust/
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you can see what might cause this? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of your dishwasher and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DD603
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
There really isn't much of a filter on this dishwasher other than the metal screen that you see. Aside from that, this isn't going to be a problem with the dishwasher itself if both drawers are having issues because they are completely separate dishwashers that only share the same power supply. They have their own motors and control boards and wash arms. You can take the metal filter out and try to clean under it if it's dirty, but aside from that, you're likely looking at a detergent issue.

Actually this is a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Glass Magic" or baking soda to help the dishes clean (baking soda is the home remedy and doesn't work as well as Glass Magic). About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. Go to the two links below and you can read why your dishes are going to bad. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Now fisher and paykel did re-design the wash arms to spray out water better because it has about 3 times as many holes as the original one, so you could replace the wash arm to get better performance as well, but this wouldn't be an issue that just randomly started to show up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What other cause could be at issue
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
there are no other causes that would cause both drawers to act up. They have separate heaters, separate drain hoses, separate control boards, motors, you name it and it's separate. There is no way that you would have two dishwashers fail in the exact same way of not cleaning dishes well at the same time.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.