Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

freezer side of amana will only stay cold 10 below at full

freezer side of amana will only stay cold 10 below at full cold setting
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

The freezer control is bad, this is part number 67003000 , You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items. Very easy to replace, remove the knob and the light cover and you will see the small access panel to replace it .

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Temperature Control 67003000 Main Product View

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

If possible will please leave me Positive feedback as we are graded on our help to you. If you cannot leave Positive feedback please let me know why so I can try to help more.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced temp control in freezer with factory part per your suggestion. No change. Freezer goes to minus 5 for a while on mid range setting then goes up into the teens and twenties, then back down and up. Could I have a bad defrost timer? Evaporater is clear of ice build up. What is part # and how to change of any additional ideas? TX Neil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have replaced temp control in freezer with new part. Went to 5 below at mid range setting. Then warms up to 31 degrees ice cream thaws then after awhile went to 7 below. Now headed back up again with freezer only at 7 below for short period. at 12 now, freezer running fan anyway. Part # and how to change. I am certainly willing to pay again for the right answer. Evap seems to be free of frost. Could it be defrost timer? Neil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New info. noticed today as temp warming in freezer fan running but freezer still warming went fro 1 degree to 22 before I left for work. Fan running the whole time. Neil
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
When it get up to around 22 degrees is the compressor running still or is it hot and humming?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
compressor hot, not sure if running/ fan in freezer running temp going up in freezer now 21
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Still need help asap please.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Please check the compressor.

If it is running and is extremely hot to the point where you can't leave your hand on it for five seconds while the fan in the freezer is running and not cooling that could be your problem,

Also check to see if the condenser fan is running. That is what cools the compressor and condenser. If that is not running it could be giving you the poor temps.

If the compressor is hot and the condenser fan is running but the area back there is very dirty that could be your problems as well. Dirty condenser coils will give you the poor temp. That will restrict the air flow around the back of the compressor area. And if the compressor is overheating it will shut downtown start again when it is cool. And when the compressor is not running your machine will not cool.

Please clean the area with a vacuum and then get back to me and I will help you more.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Please get back to me if you need anything else.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked at the issues you suggested. Condenser coils clean, condenser fan running compresser hot, temp going from minus 10 and hour ago to 25 now. Neil
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

Two things here.

First while yo were back near the compressor when you had checked to feel if the compressor was hot, was it on while the condenser fan was running? And do you hear a clicking sound every so often?

Second. In the freezer section in the back wall do you see any spots of frost or ice?

We may have to have you remove the food from the freezer section then remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern on the evaporator. To do so you will need a Phillips head screw driver and 1/4 inch nut driver.

When you are ready get back to me with those answers and if you a ready to check the machine further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Condenser fan running, compresser hot but does not seem to be running at this time, no frost on evaporater coils and fins, fan inside freezer on, temp going up now 24 above. Neil
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
It seems like either the compressor is not running properly or at least it is running at times to cool the ref then it over heats and shuts down.

Do you hear a buzzing or clicking sound every so often?

I would say there is a problem with the sealed system at this point. And it would need to be checked by a service company.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we here clicking
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If you hear clicking very so often then associated with a straining noise that is often described as an electrical sound, then the overload relay on your compressor is failing.

That is common with the problem you are having.

The overload relay or what some peephole call a starter is the device that starts the compressor so it can run on its own. If that starter doesn't start the compressor the compressor will recognize that's hasn't started by the starter and start itself after a few tries. But it will get too hot from doing so and shut down.

This is why your machine is cooling off every so often then it will warm up again. And usually the temperature in the freezer will be colder then the temp in the ref because all the cold is made in the freezer section. And more specifically in the lower half. Which is why the freezer section will stay colder then the ref section.

The clicking issue needs to beset with quickly because if left unattended to the compressor could be too badly damaged to the point where that to may need to be replaced.

The good news here is that if you machine is under ten years old this will be covered under the manufacturers original warranty. Since this issue is considered a sealed system failure most manufacturers cover their sealed system components for ten years. Some of which even cover them for twelve years.

So if your machine is under ten years old I would call the manufacturer to set up a service call and they will come out for free and look and fix the machine for you. In some circumstances they will only charge you for labor to fix the machine. But at least this way you will not be responsible for a repair that would most likely cost you more then $600.

If the machine is over ten years and not covered by warranty then I am afraid this kind of repair would not be worth fixing. First off because the unit is older and you don't know what kind of damage was done to the sealed system. And secondly, I would hate to see you call a service company in to fix the machine at the tune of over $600 today to just have it break down again in less then a year.

I might recommend that you call a service company to come out to properly check the machine. And if it just needs an overload relay or starter and the compressor was not too badly damaged then it would save you over $400. I would recommend in that case for you to repair the machine. But If they say you need a new compressor then I would just put the money that you would've spent on the repair towards a new machine.

If you need the number to whirlpool, who owns amana, please get back to me here and I will get it for you. This way you can call them to set up a service call if the machine is under ten years. Otherwise, if the machine is older then ten years just call in a local appliance service company to take look for you.

If you feel that ihave helped in answering your question please remember to rate my performance below and then hit the accept button.

And Gould you still need more help you can still come back here to ask any other questions you might have. And I will answer them for no extra charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should i replace the relay? What is it part#? Where is it? How to replace? The compresser could be ok as the temp drops to15 below at times? Thanks neil
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
You can try to replace the relay and let the ref run for about a day or two. And if the temps start to regulate then you may be ok. But of it doesn't help and you still here the clicking. Then the compressor is too badly damaged and needs to be looked at by a professional.

The relay is part number 12555902 and should cost about $55 and canbe ordered at either www.marcone.com or www.searspartsdirect.com or from your local appliance parts store.

If when replacing he overload relay you notice the capacitor that plugs into the relay is damaged too, the capacitor is simply a battery pack for the relay and looks like a black rectangular battery, will need to be replaced too. That is part number 65889-4 and should cost about $40. You may want to order it if ordering the relay just in case the capacitor was damaged too. But don't install it unless you need it. This way if you don't, you can return it.

Let me know how it works out for you. Or get back to me here again if you need more help.

And please be sure to accept my answer if you feel that I have helped in answering your question.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is relay? Capacitor looks ok it is ok? FYI amana only covers sealed section 5 yrs mine is 9 yrs Neil
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok. You you have a true maytag machine. That is who owned amana. Which is now owned by whirlpool. If the machine is not covered by warranty. He definitely try replacing the overload relay first. And only that. It would not be worth it for you to replace compressor on this machine should it be damaged. It would cost way too much.

The relay is fitted onto one side of the compressor. It looks like a black box usually on the l side of the compressor in th back of the ref.

Remove the ref a bit so you can get to the back. Then remove the lower access panel. And behind their your will see the compressor and the relay attached to it.

If the capacitor looks good it is most likely good. Just replace the relay. And to do so, first unplug the machine. Release the tension clip holding the relay on and then just pull off the relay. Then remove the wires and fit onto new relay then put new relay on the compressor.

That is it. It is just that simple.

Then plug the machine back in and let it run for about a day. And notice if the temps get better for you. And if the compressor runs quietly without any clicking.

Here is a link to the diagram of the compressor

The compressor itself is number 8. And the relay and over load are 10 and 11.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Amana-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-ARB2217CC1/1268/0161000/M0612284/00007?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Get back to me here if you need any more help.

Please remember to hit the green accept button below if you feel that I have answered your question.

Thank again.