Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my 10 yr old amana dishwasher fails to fill with water.worked

Customer Question

my 10 yr old amana dishwasher fails to fill with water.worked properly on Wednesday.Loaded & started machine saterday nite. Sunday opened washer to fined the 2nd. soap dispencer open but dshes were dirty.The machine went through all cycles but no water enterd on wash or rince cycles. I added some water and started the machine . No water came out of the sprayer. Is it time to relace or repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is stuck in the up position. Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
float is down.Due to handicap can't pull machine to work on it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok well there isn't much more you can do without removing the kick panel and looking below to to replace the valve or whatnot. Just make sure that your dishwasher is getting water and if so, call a repairman because you have a failed part on your dishwasher.