Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Whirlpool self cleaning electric wall oven model:

Customer Question

We have a Whirlpool self cleaning electric wall oven
model: RB268PXBB1
Automatic 350 preheat isn't coming up to temp.
when it beeps saying temp is 350 it is reading about 300 with auxillary thermometer.
Could replacing the lower element solve this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Number 67 in the picture below is the oven sensor, it is what reads and senses the temperature. It will likely need to be replaced. It is accessed from inside the oven and is mounted in the upper LH corner. It simply unplugs after the screws are removed.The sensor is available at the link below.

Oven Sensor $26.01

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Clicking the “ACCEPT” button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would like to see if the sensor is the problem.
i will have a chance to take it out in the next day or so. thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted. You can test it with a meter, but it is not always an accurate test. They can test good at room temperature but be faulty at higher temps. I would recommend replacing it because it is pretty inexpensive. Let me know if you have any questions!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The answer Kelly provided was a good idea, but didn't solve the problem. After replacing the temperature sensor and running some experiments with baking, i can say that the Sensor is not the problem. The new one works and most likely the old one was working fine. We are still getting readings about 20 to 35 degrees off. The elements work and after an adjustment in temperature until an auxilary thermometer reads desired temp, the oven will hold steady at desired temp. We have found the original owner's manual and are in the process of re calibrating the temp controls. Hopefully this will work!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The control can be adjusted by holding the bake button in until the display changes to calibrate mode. You can then adjust up to 35* either way. This will adjust the control to the desired temperature.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if the control is set for 350 should the temp actually be 350 when the oven beeps and reads in the digital display that it is 350? We set the control for 350 but the auxilary thermometers (we now have 2) we have in the oven are reading about 300 and 325 when the oven beeps saying it has reached temp. After approximately 20 minutes one of the thermometers read 350 the other was about 360+. Now we are confused. What should the control be set at inorder to have the oven be the temperature 350? Does this make sense?
Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The thermometers you are using to test with are spring steel thermometers and slower to react than a digital thermometer. That is why it takes a but for them to show the correct temperature. You need to allow 30 minutes preheat time for the cavity conditioning period before making any adjustments. This time will allow for the oven interior to adapt and also the racks. If you used a digital thermometer to test with, you would see a very wide swing of temperatures during the first 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, we have replaced the temperature sensor
Checked the heating elements
Run several test with, now 3, different thermometers (digital one, just last night)
When the oven beeps indicating that it is up to temperature at 350: there is a range of 240 to 260 on the regular spring metal thermometers and the digital one was off the scale.
What should the actual temperature of the oven be when it beeps at 350? Is there a factory setting or something?
Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The actual temperature varies greatly and is influenced by many factors. If you use a digital thermometer to measure the temperature in the center of the oven, most of the time after the preheat signal announces, the temperature will read about 400-450*F. This is directly following the preheat signal. That is why it is so important to read it after about 30 minutes after the sensor and oven cavity have had time to acclimate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This makes me wonder what temperature i am baking at if i am baking cookies that are only suppose to take 10 minutes at 350. i preheat the oven while i am mixing ingredients and when preheat signal goes off i stick the first batch in the oven, assuming that i am baking at 350 for ten minutes. What i am understanding now tells me that the oven most likely is not 350 when i put the cookies in. i wonder what it should be...? i can understand that there is a wide range of temperature variations from one oven to the next, but i just would like to get my oven back to it's good ol' self again. i have had very predictable results until about 4 months ago. It is not uncommon to have power outages here and i was thinking that something might have happened due to a power outage. Also, there have been many other people using my kitchen (i broke my ankle this winter AND my 99 year old mother moved in with us!). i don't think the oven is worn out it just seem it needs re calibrating, or is it just me that needs re calibrating...?!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The sure way to tell is to allow a 30 minute preheat and see what the thermometers read at that time. If they all read 350, no adjustment is necessary.