Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Fisher and Paykel washing machine that is "leaking"

I have a Fisher and Paykel washing machine that is "leaking" water on the floor. I have removed and cleaned the diverter valve, but that was not the problem. I have run it through a cycle with the lid taken off the hinges with the front still engaged so I could see what was going on. At the beginning of the cycle when it is sensing the water level, amount of clothes, etc. it cycles the water through the diverter valve and sprays the clothes from the top. When it does that, it sprays water at a very fast rate and the water sprays/splashes over the top of the drum sides resulting on a small amound (about 1/2 cup) of water on the floor all around the drum. I've had the washer for 3 years and this just started a couple weeks ago. What could be causing the problem, and how do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a very common issue and it means that the recirculation tube that comes up the back right corner of the tub is either slightly clogged with lint inside of it, or clothes have been rubbing and hitting the circulation tube when the tub goes into spin and it has damaged the end of the fill tub. You just need to remove the top panel and take a look at the recirculation tube to see if it's clogged with lint near the tip. If you find nothing then you need to order and replace the recirculation tube when you can order at with a full model number.

To remove the top panel, open the lid and there are 2 plastic caps in the front right and left corner of the top frame. Pry these caps off with a knife and remove the screws underneath. Now you can lift the top panel up and hinge it back to gain access.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks! I'll go take a look.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and good luck to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The recirculation tube didn't appear to be plugged in any way so I ran a 2 ft Zip It and came back with nothing but a tiny bit of grime on the edges. Would something stuck futher down in the tube cause the same problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
not really. If there was a blockage causing the problem it would be near the top. If you don't see anything on the tube itself and the top splash guard isn't frayed or something like that, you just need to order and replace that recirculation tube because it's not directing the water correctly for some reasons.