Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Yes I still need help!

Yes I still need help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Ok this is pretty easy to diagnose....First check the optics....when you hold the paddle in on the side the red light should go steady. Next check the black runner fill tube that goes to the icemaker you should be able to squeeze it. If it is rock hard it is frozen up. If both of those things check out you have to check the icemaker itself.

What you need to do is dismount the icemaker and get a jumper wire. Remove the 1/4" screw on the lower right hand side. You will see a rounded V shaped cover that the screw holds on. Pop the flip up cover off and remove that cover on the right hand side. This will expose the plug to the icemaker.

Once that is off grab the icemaker and give it a pull, it will slide out on the tracks. Once it is out it will be dangling there attached to the modular plug....leave it plugged in. Now pop the front square white cover off the icemaker. It just pulls off. Once it is off check the gear see if it just pulls off and is broken. It more than likely is and you will just need an icemaker.

Now if the gear looks good put the jumper wire in the L and V holes carefully put the icemaker back in the cavity so you can shut the door and so the jumper wire stays in position. Get a towel and place it where the black fill tube is so you can catch any water that will come out. This is a little tricky as you will just put the icemaker at and angle laying inside the unit with the jumper wire in place.

Once you have it set close the door and unplug the unit for 30 secs plug the unit back in and open the freezer door briefly and close it....leave it closed and listen carefully after closing the door ....withing 5-20secs you should hear the valve energize and water will be coming out of the black full tube inside the icemaker....Quickly open the door and pull the jumper wire out to shut the water off. If that happens order a new icemaker as it is bad. If it does not let me know....

Please read below before leaving.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it checks out the ice maker is bad, since the ice maker control module is available separately,
can I just replace the module only? It will save about 90.00
You can, but I would not. They had a lot of issues with the heater and thermostat on that unit. You will find that you may buy the module head and still have issues.

Here is the best price on the icemaker anywhere. I figured I would help you out:)

PLease read below before leaving, Thanks...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Will this unit be a n exact replacement?
Yes that will be an exact replacement