Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Kenmore Dishwasher Model # XXXXX The soap

We have a Kenmore Dishwasher Model # XXXXX The soap dispenser does not open, meaning the dishes do not get as clean as they should. No part is visibly broken so we are looking for help. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The best way to determine if you have a bad dispenser or a bad control board is to shut the dispenser lid and run the dishwasher through diagnostics. To run diagnostics press: high temp wash, heated dry, High temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash

**NOTE** if you don't have a "heated dry" button, use the "air dry" or "energy saver dry" button instead.

-All the lights will go solid at which point the dishwasher will go through a 15 minute diagnostics cycle. If the dispenser doesn't open up, then you need to replace the dispenser in the door. If it does open, then you need a control board because it's not telling the dispenser to open normally like it should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we need to continue to press the high temp wash, heated dry buttons the number of times you have indicated above, or should we stop when all the lights go solid. That happened prior to our going through the entire series of high temp/heated dry. Thanks for that additional insight!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
just stop when all the lights go solid. It won't affect anything if you press it an extra time or two, but I just wanted to make sure that you get it into diagnostics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have just started the diagnostics. I'll circle back as soon as we see what happens!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok, good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the lights go out when the diagnostics are done. All the lights are still solid.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no, but the dishwasher will stop running, then you just press cancel to stop the cycle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just opened the dishwasher and the dispenser is still not open. Based on your earlier message, we just would need to replace the dispenser itself. Easy to do with the replacement part?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, you need to replace the dispenser. It's fairly easy to replace. Just open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the inner door liner. The door will split open and there will be just screws holding the dispenser into place. Remove the screws and remove the dispenser. Then install the new dispenser. Below is a link to the dispenser you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.