Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a side by side Whirpool fridge with ice maker and water

I have a side by side Whirpool fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. When I want a glass of water and depress it, water comes from the ice maker and it tries to fill the ice maker up. I have replaced the electronic module water inlet valve (W1019035/2206123) old model #70F in the firdge and it did not solve the problem. Please help, my wife wants ice and glassed water!

Thank you Danny
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

I had one of these on friday but when the ice maker was suppose to fill water was coming from the dispenser instead

Tim Alan :

I directed that person to check the valve to make sure it was connected correctly, I think it was hooked up wrong

Tim Alan :

Look at the water line for the ice maker and make sure it is connected to the brown/tan solenoid valve

Tim Alan :

This was the exact same valve also, this is somewhat complicated to hook up

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX take lunch now and go and try that. I should be back in 1 hour. Danny

Tim Alan :

Ok let me know what you find

Customer:

Will do

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you.

Customer:

Tim, I checked it and I have the copper water going to the inlet. There are three white tubes 2 the same size. I took a picture can I send it to you? Here is where they are hooked up, the one to the ice maker is coming out of the back and the other smaller tube is going into the brown soleniod. I can email the picture or send it to you by phone. It looks right to me, but I might have them hooked up backwards. With this new inlet valve I have connectors that just push in, how do you pull them out?

Tim Alan :

Yes you can send a picture use the paperclip icon just above the chat window

Tim Alan :

It does sound like you have the 2 smaller plastic tubes hooked up wrong

Customer:

I'll attach now.

Tim Alan :

the color that goes around the tyubing and is connected top the valve is the release, you push the tube in and at the same time that little color to release

Tim Alan :

It's a compression fitting so push in on the tube and the colar when the colar is pushed in all the way the tubing slides right out

Tim Alan :

make sure that you have the water turned off

Tim Alan :

the ice maker tube should be hooked up to the brown/tan valve

Tim Alan :

To attach the picture press the image next to the url space or top line

Customer:

I think I got it sent

Tim Alan :

Ok i don't see it

Customer:

I will try again. It came up on the screen and I sent it.

Tim Alan :

ok yes try it again

Tim Alan :

If that does not work i will switch to Q and A sometimes it works better on that system

Customer:

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

I got this time let me check it out

Customer:

K

Tim Alan :

I can't see what tube goes were though

Customer:

The bottom left underneath is the one that goes into the underside of the fridge. The one that is coming straight out is the icemaker one.

Tim Alan :

I don't know why they have to make these valves so complicated and to make matters worse whirlpool does not have nor supply a water tube diagram

Tim Alan :

Ok switch those 2 tubes

Customer:

I will switch the two around when I get home

Tim Alan :

the water fill valve and the ice maker fill valve are side by side

Tim Alan :

so switching those 2 should solve the issue

Customer:

OK I will do that. Thanks!

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, if you need any further assistance just let me know, please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment, thank you and have a great day

Customer:

Will do ! Thanks again.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome

Customer:

Tim, it worked! However, it seems like it is taking forever to make ice. I started making ice at about 5 last night and it's not even close to full. It's taking over an hour to make one tray. Any thoughts?

Tim Alan :

An hour to make one tray, is as fast as it goes

Customer:

Thanks

Tim Alan :

you may be able to speed it up by turning the temperature colder in the freezer

Tim Alan :

Your welcome

Customer:

K

Tim Alan :

Anything else for you?

Tim Alan :

Please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment.

Customer:

No I think you have solved everything. Except my wife broke the dishwasher lastnight and I had to get a part for that. When it rains it pours! Thanks for all your help!

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, have a great day

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service