Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

My Whirlpool refrigerator has stopped making ice for the icemaker.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool refrigerator has stopped making ice for the icemaker. It appears that no water is being supplied to the unit. The ice that is left is OK, it's just not making any new ice. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX try and help you with your issue, can you please post the complete model number of your unit found inside the refrigerator.

Customer:

ED25PEXHW02

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you let me look it up and I will brb

Tim Alan :

You said you don't think it is getting any water, do you know if the ice maker is going through a cycle?

Customer:

Yes, it appears to try to cycle. It makes a humming noise as if it's trying to fill with water but nothing happens. It has been doing this for about three days and I'm just about out of ice.

Tim Alan :

Oh ok the fill tube for the ice maker may be plugged up with ice, the hum could be coming from the solenoid, check the fill tube for any ice obstruction.

Tim Alan :

The fill tube may be hard to get to, it's either white or black and should lay into the rear of the ice maker trough

Customer:

OK, how do you check the tube? Do you take it loose from the back of the fridge or from where it goes into the icemaker? By the way, the chilled water in the door is still working fine.

Tim Alan :

You can feel for the ice or use a long thin screw driver, that is what i do, insert a screw driver inside the fill tube and feel for the ice.

Tim Alan :

Ice maker water supply and the water dispenser are unrelated

Customer:

OK, I'll try to find it. Not sure I have the right kind of screwdriver.

Tim Alan :

Anything long and thin that you can insert in there will be ok

Customer:

OK, I have taken out the tray of ice in order to reach the mechanism easier. However, I can't find the end of the tube coming into the unit in order to stick something into the tube. It does appear to be frozen when you touch it. Part of the mechanism is blocking the area where the tube comes into the unit.

Tim Alan :

The ice maker can be taken out too, there should be 2 screws at the top and one at the bottom and those are 1/4 hex head screws

Tim Alan :

use a 1/4 inch nit driver or a ratchet with a 1/4 inch socket

Tim Alan :

nut driver

Tim Alan :

I also use a hair dryer to thaw out the fill tube once you can get to it. Make sure it is completely thawed out.

Customer:

Well, it just got too complicated for me. I can see the 2 screws at the top but do not have the tools to reach into that restricted space. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and call a service man. Do you recommend Sears?

Tim Alan :

Sears is ok, anybody can handle this as far as service companies and get it back up and going.

Tim Alan :

Yo may be able to thaw it out by getting behind it and using the hair dryer

Tim Alan :

that will require pulling it out and take a lot longer also turn it off when you do it

Customer:

Thanks for trying, My abilities and tools are very limited. Oh, I just saw your last two lines. I think I can direct the hairdryer outlet to the tube from the inside. Would that work?

Tim Alan :

Anyway you can get to the tube will work over time, the key is to get heat on the tube and clear the ice out

Tim Alan :

Underneath may be easier also

Customer:

OK, I'll give it a whirl.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service