Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

My Amana refrigerator is not cooling. The fridge compartment

Customer Question

My Amana refrigerator is not cooling. The fridge compartment is 60 degrees. However, the freezer works fine. What might be the problem? I just cleaned it a couple of days ago and since then it won't cool. Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please stay on line with me until we finish ,, thanks

look inside the freezer and tell me if their is frost on the inside back panel and if the fan inside is blowing please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is frost, and yes, the fan is blowing.
may i have the model number please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is: ATB1504ARS
i need you to open the fridge and on the bottom of the control panel where the knob and light is there is a hole about the size of the end of your finger, inside is a knob, turn the knob a little at a time until the fridge shuts off and get back to me
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok!
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it is now off. I hope I did this correctly!
ok ,, now just let it set, tell me if it comes back on in and 30 minutes or less by itself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok--the motor did not stop until I had the knob at OFF. If I turn it even to 1 or 2, it comes back on...
leave the knob on and turn the little knob inside the hole on the bottom of the panel until the fridge shuts off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry, but I just can't seem to find a little knob. There are several holes in the bottom of the panel, but I might need a screwdriver? I have small fingers and everything, but I can't find a knob I can turn except the big one....really sorry to be so difficult. I'm not very good at these things! When I open the door, the panel is immediately in front of me. There's the large knob with the cold settings, then the light bulb in a cage, then several tiny holes....one is almost like a reset button but I can't get it to turn.
thats ok ,, lets take it another way ,, turn the fridge off and in 5 minutes turn it back on and tell me if it starts right up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..yes, it came on right away.
you need to drop down the control panel and replace the defrost time and remove the inside back panel of the freezer and replace the defrost thermostat and it will be fine again ,, you can get these at a local appliance parts dealer near you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you so much for all your help!
you are very welcome