Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

my whirlpool washer started making a grinding noise when it

my whirlpool washer started making a grinding noise when it spins. the basket sill spins, and I can move the agitator by hand. the noise makes it seem like gears have stripped.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Can you give me the model number please from the sticker under the lid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LSQ7030LQ0
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok the problem here is the agitator dogs have worn and will need to be replaced. Below i have included a link to a video that will show you how to do the repair, I have also included a link where you can purchase the part :)

Click here to purchase the replacement part

Click here to view a video that will show you how to do the repair.

Please remember after "ACCEPTING" you can come back at any time for additional assistance if needed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would the basket and agitator still spin if the dogs are broken? is this something I can get at a local hardware store like Home Depot?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I may have miss understood, does the agitator move both ways, is it making this noise when the machine is agitating or just when the machine is spinning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the machine is at my mom's house, I only listened to it for a few minutes yesterday. i want to say it was making the noise during agitating, however, when i opened the lid to look inside, the drum was spinning, so maybe that means it happens when it is draining. i am planning on going over there again in an hour or so to take another look.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok when you go over there grab hold of the agitator and check to see if it is spinning both ways, also check to see if it is making the noise during agitation, if so then the agitator dogs need replacing.

If the noise is solely on the spin then the motor coupler will be broken, The link i have included below is how to repair a broken coupler.

Click here.

Either way the parts can be purchased at any local appliance parts supplier. You cant buy these at home depot :(

Thanks

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi mike, so i think it might be something else. the agitator only moves in one direction, so i don't think it is that. the noise happens when i spin the drum, manually. it makes a kind of clanking noise as i turn it, maybe one or two clank per turn.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok using the video I supplied check the motor coupler, Also check inside the pump for a coin or object caught inside the pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will check that now. however it doesnt feel like it is hitting an object, it feels like the sound comes from the drum falling slightly into a groove. i know that isn't the best best description
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'd check the motor coupler first, this could also be something to do with the clutch transmission, The most common cause of this noise would be a busted motor coupler.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how will i know the coupler is bad? when i tip the unit over, i can turn the coupler, it doesn't seem stripped
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If the coupler is bad the prongs or the rubber will be broken. If the coupler is good check inside the pump for a coin. Also you could check inside the tub for something that may have got stuck inside the tub.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing inside the pump. the coupler looks ok. i have the motor off, and am looking at the coupler under the unit, and it does not turn when i turn the tub. should it?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the tub should turn when you turn the coupler, sounds to me like a bad clutch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, i like that we are narrowing it down. do you have a video on replacing a clutch? would I get part number 3951311 to fix it?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-LSQ7030LQ0/1198/0153200/W0209108/00005
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Click here to view a video that will show you how to replace the clutch

Make sure you take the clutch apart and check it first, there may be a broken spring.

Ignore the part number from the video since the clutch may be a different model number to yours. Also check the basket drive.