Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

may tag french door - about 5 years old - fridge will not cool

may tag french door - about 5 years old - fridge will not cool - nor produce ice/water through door. freezer is fine...just wondering what it might be (cost/time to get a tech out)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue. The fridge not cooling is an airflow problem, the cold air for the refrigerator comes from the freezer section. Typically when this happens it's due to a defrost problem and that normally is a defrost thermostat but it also could be a defrost timer/control. Check inside the freezer section and see if there is frost on the rear inside panel and if the fan is blowing, that also could be the problem. So a defrost problem, the fan not working, and some rare instances the damper inside the refrigerator. The water/ice not working could be related to the no cool. Most companies send people out within a day or 2, were not a service company. The service call is typically between 65-75, the labor could be another 50-100 dollars depending on what is wrong and the time involved to fix the issue. Parts would be additional. Most defrost thermostats are around 35-50 dollars, the controller would be in the range of 120-150, depending on the model of your unit. If you need any further information just let me know.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thin sheen of ice on the back panel of the freezer - sounds like the fan is blowing in the freezer
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the unit is not defrosting then and no airflow up into the refrigerator section, so that is either the defrost thermostat or the timer/control. You can try to manually defrost it by turning it off and using a hair dryer to completely clear the coil, that could take an hour or 2 to clear the coil and that would give you about 5 days use before it completely plugs up again.