Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

the dryer works but there is no heat.

the dryer works but there is no heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue. I will need the complete model number of your unit to help you resolve the no heat problem, so please locate the model number that is on the unit just inside the door and post the complete model number for me, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I'll be right back.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX time, I will be on all day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ldg8406aae
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX getting any heat at all? Does it heat for a few minutes and then stop, or are you getting nothing at all? Also if you can do one thing and that is get behind the unit and while it is running try and look inside the unit through the vent and let it run for a few minutes and see if you can tell if there is a glow from the igniter at all. The vent is also removable by taking out the screws.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, unscrewed the vent and see no glow or sounds of gas/flame.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok would you happen to have a volt ohm meter? When you turned it on did you hear any clicks when it started running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a meter but I have one of those that has a small bulb that lights if there is a current.
I did not hear any clicks of it trying to light the burner.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Ok what you can do with that is open it up and while it is running check for power to the igniter, the problem with that is it's more or less a guess on power but it may tell us what we need to know, also look closely at the igniter and see if you can tell if it's cracked anywhere or has an obvious burn mark on it. This dryer comes apart by depressing spring clamps that are between the top and the front panel, use either a putty knife or flat screw driver and locate those clamps and push in to release and the top should come up. There are 2 of those clamps there hard to see lift up on the top a little and use a flash light to locate them, then the entire front panel w/door comes off to access the interior.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, front panel is off and the igniter seems to spark with the touch of anything.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok sounds like you found the problem, the igniter should not spark it should glow it must have a hairline crack in it. If it's sparking there is power to it, chances are it's a bad igniter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Igniter/glow rod

PART NUMBER:(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis is the part number for the igniter, most appliance parts stores will have these, just type in appliance parts to bring up your local listings, also some hardware stores will stock these too, let me know if you need any further assistance, the next step would be to replace the igniter.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just replaced the igniter and it seams to work. Now I can't get the front panel back on
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The front panel should either hook on at the bottom and then line up or at the sides first, look at the bottom up, most of the time there are hooks at the bottom that it fits into first and then go sides up.