Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

I changed a valve on 50522100 and when the ice maker starts

Customer Question

I changed a valve on 50522100 and when the ice maker starts to dispense in the front of the refrigerator. It will do this constantly and I can't stop it. What do I do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue. The switch inside the dispenser could be stuck closed or the actuator arm may not be stuck also, this model also has a plastic control bracket that is quite flimsy and the switch holder could be broken too. Check inside the dispenser front, I can't see how changing the ice maker and valve would affect the ice dispenser itself. I will sent a diagram of the dispenser. To remove the dispenser front cover, locate the 2 slots at the bottom between the dispenser control panel and freezer door, insert a screw driver push down on the dispenser panel and twist your screw driver it should pop right off. Also post the complete model number of the unit, i believe your model starts with a 106 but check that for me thank you.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The switch is number 14 there are 2 of them the one that actuates the ice maker is on the left, when the switch is pressed it powers the dispenser motor and the bracket is item number 15. Let me know what you find and if you need further assistance just let me know.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Switch 14? on the dispenser or on the valve?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The switch is number 14 on the dispenser. We may not be on the same page, from what you wrote it sounds like when your dispensing ice ice out of the front it will not stop, is that correct. Or is the ice maker continually cycling and will not stop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No when the ice maker fill cycle starts water goes throught the dispenser not the ice maker.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Check the wiring on the valve, sounds like you may have some wires crossed, what does it do when you dispense water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

water comes out no problem

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
No water to the ice maker at all it just comes out the dispenser or is it over filling the ice maker and coming out the dispenser front?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a volt ohm meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no water to ice maker at all coming out dispenser instead.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Check your wiring on the valve and also look closely at the valve itself. When the ice maker cycles it powers up the solenoid valve 5 seconds during the fill cycle. There is power being sent to the water dispenser valve or the valve itself is bad internally and no water flow through the ice maker valve but goes through the dispenser valve. I didn't get an answer whether you had a volt ohm meter or not, but i need to know were the voltage is going to tell you exactly what the issue is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two brand new valves and each one is new. I replaced the valve in the back and when the ice maker cycled water started flowing out the dispenser. It is kind of a strange scenario but that is what I am getting Could the plugs on the valve in the back be switched?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
They are different sizes of electrical fittings, I cannot find a wiring diagram online for that model but on most ice maker valves the hot wire is either brown or tan mostly tan at least make sure there is a tan colored or brown colored for the ice maker fill valve and typically it's blue for the water dispenser, there is a third valve that is powered by both valves.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
It could be you hooked up the water lines wrong too make sure the ice maker tube is going to the right valve also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a link I can view to determine if that is the case. Link diagram for valve.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Nothing is published on the water hookups for any refrigerator, or a diagram for the water system. There may be a diagram of the water system on the back of the unit or in the owners manual. This unit is made by whirlpool i believe, i will look at the valve and see if i can determine how this one is hooked up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I appreciate your help!!!
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The one for the ice maker should go to the tan valve, look at the tan/brown valve and follow the water line and see were it goes, that should go up the back of the unit to the valve. The water dispenser should be ok then there should be one line coming to and from the filter, the water inlet from your house should hook up to the front of the valve then go to the filter and then back to the valve, that is according to the way i see from the valve makeup, the problem is on some units whirlpool has the water line going from your house supply to the filter first on some models and again nothing is ever published on any refrigerator water system, a big complaint of mine for years.