Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

WP REFRIG. MODEL#ET18TKXJW00.SER#VSK4551938.NOV 2010. HELLO!FRIGE

Customer Question

WP REFRIG. MODEL#ET18TKXJW00.SER#VSK4551938.NOV 2010. HELLO!FRIGE WARM,ICE ONBACK WALL OF FREEZER.UNPLUGGE IT YEST&SCRAPED OFF ICE,VAC'D REAR OF MACHINE CLEAN. ICE BACK TODAY. HELP PLEASE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue. The frost on the back wall inside the freezer indicates that the unit is not going through an automatic defrost. On this model it's typically due to a defective defrost timer but it also could be the defrost thermostat or the heater too. You can try turning the defrost timer and put it into a forced defrost manually or if you have a volt ohm meter you can check the defrost heater and thermostat inside the freezer behind the rear wall. The easiest would be putting it into a defrost by turning the timer, I will send you a picture of the location of the timer, that is in the control box inside the refrigerator at the top near the middle, there will be a hole/slot near the middle, insert a flat screw driver and turn it until it clicks. The unit will shut down, the fans and compressor will stop and it will be in defrost mode. Then remove the rear panel inside the freezer and observe to see if the heater at the bottom gets hot. It could take upwards of 30 minutes to defrost, you can also use a hair dryer to assist in the defrost. If the heater gets hot then it's the defrost timer, if it does not then it's either the defrost heater or the defrost thermostat. My next post will include the break down of parts, so give me a minute to send those.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
Item 4 on the diagram is the defrost timer and shows it's approximate location, locate the hole in the control box and insert a screw driver and turn it clockwise until it clicks and everything shuts off, go slow when you turn it.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
The defrost heater is item number 4, the defrost thermostat is mounted to the top of the coil, i will try and locate that for you, it does not look like it appears on the diagram though, it will be mounted to the top of the coil snapped onto the tubing.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
On this model it's a part of the wiring harness inside the freezer. Let me know what you find or if you require further assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I NEED MOR TIME TO READ
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
Take your time, i will be on all day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1)YOU STATED THE DEFROST HEATER AND THE DEFROSTTIMER ARE #4,

2)so if I do any of these, one way or another a part needs to be replaced?

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
Yes in each of the diagrams they are both item 4. Yes there is a part failure and a high majority of the time it's the timer, the next would be the defrost thermostat, rarely is it the heater but that could fail. I can supply the part numbers for you and most would be available locally through an appliance parts store or online.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
Defrost timer

PART NUMBER: 2183400

$43.73 this is the defrost timer and this was from sears parts direct

Wire harness

PART NUMBER: 2192096

$38.80 this part contains the thermostat

Heater

PART NUMBER: 2263749

$38.10 this is the heater

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so are the parts and mailing going to be more that $100 or my husband states we should buy another new frigerator.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.
If you get all the parts then it would be over 100 dollars, i doubt if all of them are bad, shipping would be in the range of 10-12 at most probably less.