Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

my kenmore refr. is blowing warm air in freezer and fridge

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

The problem you have is very common. Go behind the unit and remove the lower panel. You will see the compressor (large black ball); put your hand on it. If it is hot or warm unplug the unit. Mounted on the compressors left hand side is the compressor relay. The relay just slides straight back off the two posts after taking the cover or safety wire off that keeps it in place. The relay will most likely look like an off white square block with or without a black square capacitor plugged onto it. Once you take it off shake the relay. It will most likely sound like there is sand inside as the relay has disintegrated. Depending on your model you can order this directly from Searspartsdirect. The relay kit comes with everything. You have to reuse your capacitor so do not throw it out. Now if the relay is good and does not appear to be bad, the compressor may be bad if you hear it humm and the click off when it tries to start. If this happens you may need a new compressor lets hope not. Now if you want to see what it is doing, just unplug the unit for a bit...then plug it back in and listen to the compressor. If the relay is bad it will still softly humm and click that is why you need to check that out. If the fan is running next to the compressor then the compressor should be running.

Please click Accept and a smiley face as to how I assisted you today....tips are appreciated. Thanks