Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

I have a frigidaire gallery refrigerator with ice makers in

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire gallery refrigerator with ice makers in the bottom freezer and in the top side. Both suddenly quit working. I changed out the water filter and the bottom ice maker made one batch of ice. Neither has worked since.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

How long has it been since they made ice?

Robert :

Also, can you get the model number off of the sticker inside the refrigerator compartment?

Customer:

I'm not exactly sure. I thought the problem was the filter, and it took a week or more for me to get a new one.

Customer:

Model number is XXXXX

Robert :

Let me pull that up.

Robert :

Ok. The bottom icemaker on your unit is the conventional type and doesn't have a reset button on it. Make sure the arm is in the down position and see what direction the ejector teeth that push the ice out are pointing. It is likely that you will have to remove the icemaker, defrost the ice in the tray with warm water, dry the icemaker off and reinstall it.

Robert :

The upper icemaker is different. I am trying to find the reset/test button for this icemaker because of the unique styling.

Robert :

Press the Ice Off button on the front of the dispenser for 3 seconds until the light goes off. Press the same button for another 3 seconds until the light comes on. Let me know if the light was off or on when you start process.

Customer:

The light was off.

Customer:

I'm not sure if this helps, but it looks like there are ice cubes made in the top that just have not fallen.

Robert :

So the upper ice tray is on the right side of its track in the upside down position but the ice is not coming out?

Robert :

If not, let me know where it is located and if it is upright or upside down.

Robert :

This will tell me where in the cycle it stopped.

Robert :

It is on a U shaped track and the place it stops will help me.

Customer:

There are ice cubes hanging down on the left side with a silver mechanical tray on the left side of the u shaped track.

Robert :

Gotcha.

Robert :

It sounds like that unit is frozen and will need to be defrosted. The most likely culprit of the situation is the fact that the filter delivered a small amount of water to both icemakers. This was not enough to register and then the unit cycled again when the filter was replaced. This, most likely, resulted in the cubes being too big for the icemaker to handle. You may have to remove the lower icemaker to clean it out and the use a hair dryer to defrost the icemaker up top to get it working again.

Robert :

The tray has a heater in it but it cannot activate until it is in the dump position. If the overflow of ice caused the unit to freeze up, you will have to defrost it to help the cycle along.

Customer:

Ok. Up top, how will I know that it has been sufficiently defrosted?

Robert :

If you can reach it with your hand you will notice that it has some 'wiggle' room once defrosted. This should allow it to release and start a new cycle. Hopefully the motor has not failed while it was trying to pull the tray back down off of the freezing coils. You won't be able to tell until you get it defrosted though.

Customer:

So if defrosted and it does not cycle through, I need a new motor?

Robert :

Make sure you push the ice off button again until the light goes off after you defrost it to start the cycle again. If it does not process then you may have to replace the motor. You will know within 1 hour after you turn it on.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.