Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Microwave wont turn off. Even when I press Clear/Off.

My GE Microwave won't turn off. Even when I press Clear/Off. I was using it last night to defrost some meat - then to cook the meat and later to cook some frozen peas. After this, it shut off, but as we were eating, the microwave came on all by itself, and we could not get it to shut off. We unplugged it for a while and still when we plugged it in again, the same thing - it just keep running.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you put something in the microwave to see if it's actually heating when it's running. Just use a cup of water or something if you would.
Also, if you open the door will it shut off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The water does not heat, and the microwave shuts off when the door is open
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok, so two things have happened. First, the microwave shut off just because it overheating from being used for so long. Microwaves in general aren't meant to be used more than 10 minutes at a maxium so they will overheat.

The new problem you have is likely a result of the unit overheating. Either one of your 3 door switches has failed, or the display control board has a shorted relay. You need to test the 3 door switches and if one of them is bad, replace it. Otherwise you need a new display control board. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test door switches if you have a multimeter.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Woops, I goofed! I reheated the water again and left it longer and it heated! Sorry. The microwave shuts off if the door is opened.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok so the only thing that can cause this issue is the display control board. It's sending out power to the magnetron without the microwave being turned on so you'd need to order and replace the display control board to fix the problem. The part is usually about $100-150.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to call a technician to come and repair it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, that's up to you but it's actually quite an easy job to replace the display board. It takes me about 15 minutes or so normally.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have to check with my husband to see if he can do it and he won't be home until around 3 p.m. If so, can we order the part now from you?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a model number? It should be located on a sticker inside the microwave cavity. Just open the door and you should be able to see the sticker. With the model, I can look up the part you'd need to replace. Also, below is a video that shows you the process.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
JVM1540DP/WW
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK perfect and below is a link to the part you need to order.

CLICK HERE

And the good news is that it's only about $70 for this model.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have all the info to order the part if my husband can install it. How do I get the video to show how it is done?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Below is a link to the video again.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.