kingmz
kingmz, Customer Service
Experience:  Looking to learn as well as teach.

My TFX24E GE refridgerator keeps going back to the DE (defrost)

My TFX24E GE refridgerator keeps going back to the DE (defrost) warning light blinking.
Any ideas on how I can stop it from doing that? When I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it stopped for a few hours then came back on. thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  kingmz replied 2 years ago.

kingmz :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you read me the entire model number? If you go into the fresh food section it will be on a sticker with the serial number in the upper left or right side.

Customer:

I don't see anything there, but I do have a manual that says it is for Models TBF22D and TBF22Z

kingmz :

That will make it hard, I need to know if this has a board or a timer for defrost. Pull out your refrigerator and on the freeze side (but behind it) do you see a metal box? It will be right above the back panel

Customer:

When I pulled it out I saw both a sticker with TFX24EKC and a long rectangular white metal covering plate running vertically down

Customer:

still with me?

kingmz :

Ok, is the unit warmer than normal?

Customer:

outside it does not, can't really tell about inside temperature too well, but it continues to seem to work fine

kingmz :

does the dispenser work? Ice and water?

Customer:

the ice dispenser works, the water does not. I have not used the water feature in years.

kingmz :

I believe the problem is being caused by your defrost timer, Manufacturer Number WR9X502.

Customer:

How do I get one, what does it cost and how do I replace it?

Customer:

otherwise, it is not forming ice...is there a way to just turn off the DE warning light and leave it the way it is?

kingmz :

This is the link to the defrost thermostat, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/WR9X502/310900?modelNumber=TFX24EKC it costs about 44 bucks.

kingmz :

You have an issue with that timer, the only way to get rid of that DE is to change that. One moment

kingmz :

Now you are positive the back wall is not frosted up?

Customer:

I assume you mean the inside back wall of the refigerator section, then no, it is not frosted, neither is the freezer section

kingmz :

THe back of the freezer section. Do you think you can take off that back wall? You have to take the racks off, the two side rails (they will be held in by a phillips screw) Take out the screw closest to the back wall and lift the rails up. Then take off the back wall, 1/4 or phillips screws. There should be a light frost pattern.

Customer:

I assume you mean emptying the freezer section of food and taking out the inside back wall. I can't do it right now, but I assume I could if it is just unscrewing some parts.

kingmz :

What is happening is your unit isn't going into defrost, when that happens you will have a lot of frost on that back coil and eventually it will cause your fresh food section to stop cooling. You can have a bad heater, terminator, or a bad defrost timer. If you go and look at the back wall and there is a light frost pattern I believe your problem is that timer.

Customer:

can you tell me how to replace the timer if that is the problem?

kingmz :

It could either be behind the kickplate on the bottom of your frig, pull that out and look at the link I showed you so you know what it looks like. Or it will be in the fresh food section at the back right. To get to it inside the fresh food section, you have to take off the handles that control the thermostats and pull that plastic shield down and out.

Customer:

It is not behind the shield where the thermostat control is

Customer:

I also don't see it behind the kick plate on the bottom of the unit

kingmz :

If you could, can you take a picture of the unit. Take it off the fresh food section near the top and also a picture of it with the doors closed. I can't find any schematics for this unit. I am pretty sure the timer is in the fresh food section

kingmz :

if you go to the back right and put your head under it you should see a circle that you can rotate with a flat screw driver or if you have long nails. Turn that around and it will manually enter defrost

Customer:

please clarify what you want me to take pictures of, how to get them to you and where you are saying I am to put my head to view

kingmz :

Take a picture of where the thermostat controls are and to get the picture to me, save it to your PC. Go to tinypic.com and upload the picture. Then copy the part that says its for message boards, it will be

Customer:

ok, I will get back to you in a while after I do all that and eat a quick dinner, if you don't mind

kingmz :

no problem

kingmz :

You should take the back wall off before worrying about that timer

kingmz :

if you have a heater problem, the defrost timer really doesb

kingmz :

doesn't need to be bothered.

Customer:

Customer:

kingmz :

wow this is an oldie

kingmz :

#257 is the defrost timer, it is next to the thermostats.

kingmz :

fresh food section, where I told you it was earlier.

Customer:

are you still thinking it is just a matter of replacing the timer?

kingmz :

You have to check the heater and terminator, what you can do is manually cycle the timer into defrost and look at the heater and if it heats up you have change the timer. You have to get to the back wall with the heaters first before you cycle it.

Customer:

I think you are losing me. I don't know how to manually cycle the timer or where the heater is.

kingmz :

The heater is in the back behind the wall of the freezer, i explained how to access it. The timer gets cycled into defrost with a flat screw driver or your nail if its long enough or something flat. That timer will have a circular part that can be rotated. It will rotate and you will hear a click noise, when you hear a click noise that means its in defrost. Stop as soon as you hear the click because you will go past the defrost cycle. If you hear another click after the first click that means you are out of defrost mode.

Customer:

I never did understand where the part is that I use my nail or a screwdriver on

Customer:

rather than get all complicated with this, do you think there is a reasonable chance that if I replace the timer you linked me to, I will have it fixed?

kingmz :

I cannot say that, it is a good indicator that you have no frost on that back wall but I would not guarantee that, Take out the food in the top portion of your fresh food section to access that filter. Lift that plastic piece down and out. Look for screws to unscrew it, I dont think there are any screws but look so you dont break anything. That timer is tehre and once you see it you will understand.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Customer:

how do I save this conversation?

kingmz :

message me back in here once you have done what I said. Remember put the timer in defrost, have the back wall off and in view of the heater, the heater should glow red. If it doesn't glow red you have a bad heater. You will have to buy the heater kit and it comes with a terminator. If the heater turns on you have a bad timer.

Customer:

It won't be till tomorrow

kingmz :

ok

Customer:

I tried to take the panel off the back of the fresh food section. I took one screw out, but it still would not come off.

kingmz : Try taking off the knobs
Customer:

I did take off the knob, took off the front panel and unscrewed the one screw that seemed to be holding in place the white cover to the right side of the controls in the back...but the cover of it would not lift off, seems to be held on the right side but I don't see how

Customer:

I see you have been in and out of this a few times...any other suggestions?

kingmz :

I use justanswer on my iphone

kingmz :

There appears to be a support holding the top right of the shield. #423

kingmz :

Try pulling the shield to the left or find the support and see how you can take it off.

Customer:

I got the shield off (421), just couldn't take apart the pieces under it

kingmz :

Ok, now find #257 and you will be able to rotate the part sticking out

kingmz :

Make sure you have the back wall taken off and check for it to heat

Customer:

I can't find 257, do I have to take more pieces off then just the shield?

kingmz :

Look for a circular thing sticking out. I believe 436 is blocking it but you should be able to see the knob to rotate on the timer.

kingmz :

If I am right, it will be facing you towards the middle of 436

Customer:

Customer:

that is what I see when I take the shield off

kingmz :

There it is, look all the way to right middle. Under the top screw and above the bottom screw.

kingmz :

The black thing sticking out, surrounded by a white circle

Customer:

that's the thing I turn?

kingmz :

Yes

kingmz :

that is the defrost timer

Customer:

ok, so now I have to take off the verticle cover on the back of the fridge, right?

kingmz :

Back of the freezer section, correct.

kingmz :

Take shelves off, the side rails, I think there is a light shield pull that up and out. 1/4 or phillips screws on the back wall.

Customer:

sorry to be so thick, but we are talking about the back wall INSIDE the freezer....as in all the frozen food needs to come out...?

kingmz :

Yes, but only the things blocking the back panel from coming off. Don't take off the food from the shelves or anything above it. I would take out the ice bucket because you will get water dripping on you.

Customer:

I am assuming that the heater, then, is located behind the ice making assembly, so I just take the panel off the top of the back on the freezer?

kingmz :

It is near the bottom of the back wall. You will see a panel held in by screws, that is the panel you have to take off.

kingmz :

You will see a silver coil (that is the evap coil). Check to see how much frost is on that coil. There should be a light frost.

Customer:

Customer:

that's what the back of the freezer looks like with the bottom two shelves out....the back wall still seems like it won't

Customer:

come out till I go up further and unscrew it all the way to the top

kingmz :

Take off that top shelf. ALso take off that shield and then you will be able to access the top 2 screws. You may want to take out the light bulb.

Customer:

Customer:

I guess the heaters are the two things behind the metal plates...now what? I think it was turn the timer piece till it clicks and watch for the heaters heating up?

kingmz :

The heaters are at the bottom and middle (silver box with tan ends). Put the timer on defrost and look if those heaters glow red. You will have to look past the metal housing.

Customer:

just so I know, if they do that (and I assume all the frost will start to melt)...what do I do next to stop the flood?

kingmz :

That hole at the bottom is where the ice drains into. Every 6-8 hours your unit goes on defrost and goes down that tube. The water is then taken to the drip pan under your unit and it evaporates.

Customer:

so, I will turn the defroster timer one click to the right and wait to see if the heaters glow red...then do I turn the defroster thing again or just leave it there?

kingmz :

spin the timer around till you understand how it works. It will turn i think 23 clicks then a louder click which will be in defrost. Once it does the louder quick stop really fast because it will go out of defrost if you keep turning it.

Customer:

I turned it past lots of clicks, when I kept going, I hit a point where the motor stopped and is silent...is that the spot?

kingmz :

Yes

Customer:

so, there is lots of frost on the coils as you saw in the photo. With the motor seeming to stop, the fridge silent and leaving it in that spot, there is no glowing of the heaters or warming, does this mean it is not the timer and is the heater? or do I have to wait longer?

kingmz :

Take a paper towel and wet it and put it on the heater. You should hear it fizzle. I am pretty sure the heaters are bad and there was more than usual frost on that coil.

Customer:

the two metal plates in front of the heaters are still really cold. Is replacing the heaters a complicated task?

kingmz :

When you change the heaters take a note of exactly how they go in, they can only go in that way. There are phillips screws at both ends of each heater. These heaters are connected as one unit and you buy it as one unit. I am pretty sure that when you buy the heater set you also get a defrost terminator. The defrost terminator is near the top of the evap coil and by the colored wires. This is what the terminator look like, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X55/3485?modelNumber=TFX24EKC

Customer:

frankly, I might hire the rest out.....I do appreciate your help and time....

kingmz :

Ok, you did good though. Now you know things about your refrigerator. I thank you for the time and if you are satisfied with my answer please accept it. Thank you and good luck! Don't let the guy sell you a defrost timer because you don't need it.

Customer:

fine, thanks will do

kingmz, Customer Service
Experience: Looking to learn as well as teach.