Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi bryan, I am trying to fix my dryer and not very experienced,

Hi bryan, I am trying to fix my dryer and not very experienced, but i want to figure it out. I have a kenmore elite 110.73932102, and it is not heating up. I have a multimeter, but not very experienced at using it. Can you help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

sure give me a minute to look up your model. be back soon.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay this is a gas dryer correct ? do you see the igniter glow when you try it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it is not glowing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a gas dryer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a Kenmore Elite model 110.73932102.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you have this apart so you can test it ? unplug the igniter and put your meter on ac voltage then put one probe in each of the sides of the plug, start the dryer and let me know if your getting 120 volts to the igniter.I'll be on today to help. we'll get it figured out its not that difficult. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. I do have to bottom panel off. There are two wires coming down to the black silenoids. I unplugged the wires to the ignitor and when I put both tips of my meter in nothing. I take the negative side off and it reads .15 to .18 on the 20 setting of the meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your testing the gas valve coils ? did you try the igniter ? was there any power going to it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tested the white plug going to the igniter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay and no power correct ? alright, do you know how to test continuity ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, what setting on the meter do I turn it to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I tested the igniter only the red lead showed .15 to .18 on my meter. When I put the black lead in it went to 0.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I'm sending you a video on how to test continuity on the high limit thermostat, this could be the issue I'm not sure but we can test one thing at a time, these all test the same so you can use the same method on all the thermostats and the flame sensor. heres the link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/3403140/2926?modelNumber=110.73932102 check this thermostat first, its lactated on the side of the heater can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, that was a bit of a challenge getting it off, but I did. I tested it and the meter beeped and it went to .001. When I heated it up, not sure the temperature, but hot, the meter stilled beeped and showed .001.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought it would do the opposite, over heat rather than not heat at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so you have a digital meter with the tone for continuity ? and you got tone ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I also heated it up and tested it and still got tone. Not sure on the temp, but it was hot. I thought it would over heat verses not heat at all?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if you didn't reach the right temp it wont open so its good though if you got a beep. you don't really need to remove all of the parts your testing but you do need to isolate them from the dryer, you can do this by removing one wire from it, in other words you can leave it mounted to the dryer, the next thing you need to test is the flame sensor, (same way) the flame sensor is on the side of the heater can also. be careful pulling the wire off this you can break it. the connector is fragile on these . do the same test on that, if you get tone its good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That has continuity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay its good, bare with me we have to eliminate these one at a time. do this one next. its on the blower assembly between the drum and the blower.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No continuity, but the blower works when I turn it on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats it ! you found the issue, on these dryers the thermal fuse if it goes doesn't stop the dryer it just stops the heat. good job ! heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/3392519/2986?modelNumber=110.73932102 thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.