Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Jenn-Air Dishwasher, JDB-5, backfills with water a day or so

Jenn-Air Dishwasher, JDB-5, backfills with water a day or so after its last use.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

are you sure its backfilling and not the water valve that could be not closing tight ?

try turning the water off under the sink for a day and see if the water stops comming in. can you do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Backfilling is just a word I use to get started. I find that after a day or so the bottom of the dishwasher is full up to the door lip.

I can turn off both the hot and cold water valves but we use the sink regularly.

I have detected that the water in the bottom of the D/W is grey water as opposed to fresh water.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

well there should be a shutoff just for the dish washer under the sink. its usually connected to the hot water supply. try that first.

if that doesn't do it then your valve flap (check valve) is either missing or worn and it letting water back into the machine. this is on the drain part of the pump. # XXXXX its one of the two. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have found the d/w valve and can shut it off.

I see the part #38 on the graphic. I will check it out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I watched an installation video for the valve and thought I understood it. I now have the part and ready for installation, however, I cant' get past the first step. I can't find again the video. Can you tell me where to look.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

if you need the valve replacement video click this blue link.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/99001359/1678?modelNumber=JDB5900AWA

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry. I thought you would have seen the previous chats. You had suggested the check valve as the part I needed. The video you suggest is for the water inlet valve.

I need instructions an how to replace the check valve which I now have.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me see what I can find. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Appreciate it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
can you tell me the part # XXXXX the part you received ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WPL 99002815 FLAPPER D
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay its the check vale on the drain pump, I cant find a video on that. this is located on the outlet part of the pump assembly. to get to it the drain hose on the pump would have to be removed. this however is not simple to get to. the drain pump is near the back of the machine . In most cases the machine would need to be removed to access this. its very difficult to reach. did you say you watched a video on this already ? I cant find one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After I sent the first msg today, I continued to search for the video. I finally found it at: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Check-Valve/8268375/939846#repairHelpVideoTabs

Hower, I soon discovered that their view of inside the dishwasher was quite different than mine so was no help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the check valve for the pump isn't located inside the dishwasher, (thats the chopper assembly not the check valve) the check valve is under the dish washer on the pump assembly towards the back of the dish washer. you can get to it from inside.you will need to take the dish washer out from under the counter to get to it. its a pain I know . once you have the dish washer out you will see the drain pump. remove the drain hose and the check valve is on the pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A little effort but job is done. Previous flapper looked just fine but I replaced it anyway. Now after 3 days there is no excess water in the d/w bottom. Thanks so ver much for your extra effort.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome. good job. if you have any follow up questions just come back and ask. you have 30 on this question at no additional charge. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician