Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Fisher Paykel washing machine (GWL15) will not power on

My Fisher Paykel washing machine (GWL15) will not power on at all. Power to plug is good. Problems began as machine would not cycle to spin after wash cycle. Stopped and beeped. I pushed Start/Pause button and it restarted. Last time it finally stopped during the cycle and would not power up at all. I have removed the panel to ensure electrical connections are secure. No joy. No power. First thought is that the control assembly panel needs replaced. There are no signs of water leakaged, burned out pump smell and there was no water under the control panel. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately there are no fuses or cut outs that will stop the control panel from illuminating, so if you're sure the washer is getting power, you need to order and replace the main control board under the control panel in the back right corner. The part is about $150. And generally the control board shorts out due to the drain pump stalling, so if you have had issues with the washer stopping and beeping at you, it sounds like your drain pump under the tub also need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So are you saying that if I replace the main control board and it restores power to the machine that if the pump is bad that it will short out the new control panel? That is getting to a huge expense to potentially replace two panels and the pump. Is there no way to determine which is faulty?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That is exactly right. Either that or something is just jamming the pump inside because if you've been getting errors and your control board finally shorted out, sure enough the same thing will happen again if you don't fix the other problem. You can remove the drain pump and look for a blockage if you'd like, but if you find nothing I wouldn't be replacing the control board by itself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So if you were working on your own machine would replace both to solve the problem? It seems that you cannot do one without the other.

By the way, my dislike was not for your answer but more for the fact that my research had somewhat determined the answer and your response confirmed it. My dislike is that a 4 year old $600 machine needs roughly $400 in repair parts to get it running. Your answer sounds to be on point but I don't like it and like Fisher Pakel even less.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That correct, you need to replace both parts, but if you order them through Searspartsdirect.com the parts will be less than $300. It's still expensive nonetheless, but that's your call on whether you want to stick that much money into the washer or not, because replacing the control board will get the unit running, but the problem will come right back and short the control board out in the next few cycles you run if you don't fix the reason why the control board is shorted out as well.