Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE refrigarator Mn on the copessorodel PS123MGNA-ww

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigarator Mn on the copessorodel PS123MGNA-ww The fan on the copressor doesnt run and the gaskets on the doors and wall inbetween get hot . Do I have more than one problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

do you have a volt meter? this is a 11.9 volt dc fan, have you tested it to see if its getting voltage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have a volt meter DoI test it were it connects to the motor
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes, put your meter on dc volts and test at the motor, you should get 11.9 volts or something close to that. let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Frige is at my sisterinlaws home so it will be about 3 hrs. before I can test it. Is that a problem? Also which color wires do I test?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
no problem , test between the white and the red, then the white and blue, then white and yellow, depending on which speed its on at the time you should find 11.9 volts to one of them. white is always natural.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I shut down my computer and continun at my sisterinlaws?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes , just sign back in and your question will come back up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tested voltage on red and white leads coming from refrigerator going to fan, no voltage.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay how about blue and white and yellow and white?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tested yellow & white, no voltage. there is no blue wire going to the fan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay, so no power at all. this means the mother board is bad, a very common problem on these, G.E. had to redesign the boards. you need to replace it. just above the fan you will see an 8X10" cover the board is behind that. below is a link to order it. In the meantime put a house fan behind the refrigerator blowing air at the coils, this will keep it cool until the part arrives.

click here for board good job! thanks and best wishes. Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Did you receive my last reply ? if so please don't forget to press the green accept button so I will receive pay for helping you. if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan Sorry its so longheck in between I rechecked the fan leads red has 1.5 volts dc yhe yellow has 13.2 volts dc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I had to leave f dor awhile so when I came back I retested the circuit and had power Bryran should get paid but I need my Last question answered
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I would agree, the measurement you made indicates a bad control board. You can click accept for Bryan up there, he said exactly what I would have said.

Barry
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please stay on line with me until we finish ,, thanks

unplug the fan motor and test the incoming dc volt power and tell me what you get on it on your meter please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what you are saying is 13.2 and 1.5 are unacceptable readings for the fan?
i see bryan is back so i will turn this back over to him ,, thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes you should be getting 11.9 on the one that is getting 1.5 your board is bad, thanks for hanging in there, i had to go have dinner and wasn't on line, best wishes and thanks again, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bryan this I Jim again . Did I click the right button to pay you? also do think the fan is bad also
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

to be honest the fan may be damaged by now, sometimes when the board fails the drop in voltage can damage the fan. not always however. the flip side to that is the fan can cause the board to fail also. to be safe you could replace both, heres a link to the fan.

fan and yes I got paid, thank you and best wishes, Bryan